13.

Chapter 13

Hajiya Ruqayya sighed softly listening to Madam Mary's explanation about the sitting arrangements for her son’s reception. She wondered how stressful it would be for her, when Ahmed is getting married. All her relatives from Katsina would definitely want to attend. Where would they stay? Her sister’s would definitely hijack her bedroom. It would be really frustrating to cater the needs of all of them. There must be a list of those who would come; she would loose her mind if all of them come for Ahmed’s wedding. The last thing she haeard was;

"That's why we decided you should sit with him" Madam Mary concluded blinking multiple times waiting for Hajiya Ruqayya's reaction.

"Sit with whom exactly?" Hajiya Ruqayya asked knowing she hadn't been listening to the Madam Mary’s explanation about the sitting arrangement. She had zoned out completely thinking about her son’s future.

"To sit with your husband and Amarya now, I literally just said that" Madam Mary snapped realizing she's been explaining herself in vain. Hajiya Ruqayya wished she had listened to her so she could have quickly stopped her and expressed her immense displeasure to this funky arrangement. It is not going to work, period.

"No, that will not work" Hajiya Ruqayya said, voicing out her thoughts as she sat up quickly. Mary knew better than to keep her on the same seat as her co-wife. She wouldn't be able to stand her. In fact, she would kill herself before the bride and the groom dance their way into the reception hall. She inhaled deeply trying to hide how disturbed this revelation had made her.

"I am sorry, but that's how it's going to be. I can't change the sitting arrangements. Everyone stays with their families; we have name tags on each table. Where do you want me to put you?" Madam Mary exclaimed exasperatedly. She was still going over her explanation from minutes ago.

"I don't care where you put me. Just take me far away from them" she retorted glaring at her friend. Asma'u knew she wasn't supposed to be listening to the conversation, so she quickly stood up from the sofa and headed to the kitchen to see if MamaNanah needed help. She had tried tuning down their voices but it would have been rude to add the TV volume, therefore she excused herself quickly.

"This girl is very respectful" Madam Mary commented absentmindedly, watching Asma’u’s retreating figure. Hajiya Ruqayya on the other hand was too disturbed to hear what her friend was saying. When she didn’t get a reply from Hajiya Ruqayya, she decided to try another approach. "Ruqayya, it's been way too long. You've always casted yourself as a shadow in your own home, you’ve totally forgotten who you used to be. I believe it's high time you take what rightfully belongs to you and your son.....” Hajiya Ruqayya started laughing making her friend cock a brow. She couldn't believe Madam Mary was actually giving her such advice. Had she suddenly forgotten what happened between these years? Or had she forgotten about everything she's been through. "Are you done?" Madam Mary asked frowning. Hajiya Ruqayya nodded still smiling. "I understand you don't believe you have a chance in this marriage anymore, but I feel you should at least show how bold you are. You shouldn't let another woman overshadow you. You met him first; you gave him a child first; you're the one who's supposed to be by his right hand. You should fight!"

"Why must I be the one to fight for Nasiru? Why is it my responsibility alone? Why must I carry the whole burden? Mary, I am sick and tired of listening to everyone telling me to fight. How exactly do you fight for a person who doesn't want to be fought for? I refuse to stress myself. Just change that sitting arrangements" Hajiya Ruqayya concluded not wanting to divulge into that topic. She loved how she hasn't cried in a while. Even though there's the nagging feeling of loneliness. She is scared, seeing him and his wife would awaken all those years of pain.