8.

"Freedom" Someone screamed laughing hysterically, some of the girls were crying. Asma'u's eyes were as wide as saucers. She couldn't believe she was lucky enough to make the list. The fact that Hafsat didn't make the list made her believe Yaya Ahmed had nothing to do with it. Oh poor Hafsat! She'll be so disappointed, she thought sighing softly.

"Thank you Jesus!" Another inmate screamed jumping up and down. A small smile appeared on her face seeing how happy the girl looked. The girl probably had her family members waiting for her. Unlike her who had no one at all. Thoughts on how she'll survive Lagos for the mean time swam through her head.

Begging!

Who was she kidding, this isn't Kano! She's heard inmates tell stories how Almajiris were banned from Lagos. She's also heard how mad people are the only charity cases in Lagos, mad people aren't allowed to roam freely, they end up being picked up by psychiatric workers. She shook her head violently trying to get the image of dressing as a mad woman out of her head. That wasn't even an option. She couldn't afford being hijacked by psychiatric workers!

Warden Adunni's help!

Being a house help wouldn't be that bad. Besides, the woman adored her as it is. She sighed softly when she remembered how warden Adunni had prisoners to help around her home. She wouldn't want to hire her, besides, being a burden to anyone is the last thing she wants to be.

A sales girl!

She smiled at this idea. That's the only bright idea she had been able to come up with, who would go about asking about your past for a sales girl job? She would simply lie, although she knew truth is the base of any fruitful relationship........

"Let's go" Cobra screamed running towards the exit, she didn't even allow Asma'u pick up her books from where she had kept them. She was laughing hysterically as she ran outside with Asma'u trailing behind. The gates were opened and screams filled the air. Their families, media personnel filled the place, Asma'u shook her head dejectedly. The government had to show off! They needed to show everyone the goodness they've done, indeed politics is a dirty game.

Cobra had tears trailing down her cheeks when she saw her twins and her mother. She hugged them tightly as they all cried together, she noticed different inmates hugging and crying with their family. Her attention was drawn back to Cobra, who was pretty much sobbing loudly. Asma'u felt her heart swell in happiness as she watched the display of affection. Her heart broke into pieces knowing no one was coming for her, her feet voluntarily dragged her away from the happy families, she turned back wondering where she would go from here, she wasn't going to miss prison, not wanting to be ungrateful to God, she did have a roof over her head there. A tear escaped her eyes even though she tried really hard not to let it drop, her eyes had a plan of theirs as she started crying hard. She sniffed and wiped her face as her body raked from her cries. She was already turning peach red, her complexion was changing totally. She avoided media personnel who were trying hard to get interviews from ex inmates. She kept wiping her tears, hoping it would stop, but it didn't.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Cobra said snatching her hands, without looking at Asma'u's face she dragged her back to her family for introductions. Asma'u had successfully wiped her tears and swallowed the lump in her throat as Cobra was making the formal introductions.

"She's so pretty. Thank you for being my daughter's friend may Almighty God bless you" cobra's elderly mother said cupping Asma'u's cheeks. Asma'u didn't mind the woman's wrinkly hands as she snuggled closer for a hug, she could really use a hug. The woman embraced Asma'u, she sniffed and inhaled deeply enjoying the warmth that came from the hug.

"These are my daughters_ Amina and Aisha. They're in the university" Cobra exclaimed giddily. Asma'u blinked multiple times. The names she mentioned are Muslim names. Is Cobra a Muslim? She's never seen her pray! "Stop shining your eyes like that and say Hi" Cobra cautioned staring at her two lovely daughters, who waited patiently for Asma'u to beckon on them from a hug. Asma'u introduced herself to the girls who were quick to engulf her in a hug, after unwrapping their hands from her body, they greeted her shyly, which she responded to.