5.

Asma'u tried regulating her heartbeat but she couldn't. It was nice someone wanted to get her out of this hell hole, but having to state what she had done is the hardest thing she'll ever do.

"Listen Asmawu, everyone in a prison didn't come here for vacation. You don't end up in prison for giving charity. No matter how bad it is, you have to open up and tell me" warden Adunni said staring straight into Asma'u's eyes. On normal days, she would have laughed her head off for warden Adunni's mispronunciation of her name. Now, she felt trapped. She looked away. Bringing this up would only make Yaya Ahmed run for his dear life. Words didn't form so she shut her mouth waiting for warden Adunni's decision. "If you are finding it hard to open up to me, I understand. I will find a way around this. You should thank Ahmed for wanting to get you out. He's a kind person" Warden Adunni said folding her hands. She peered at the beautiful kind girl, wondering what she had done that was so bad.

Unknown to them, Hafsat was standing by the door eavesdropping. She was about to go keep the broom she had used for the sweeping when she heard Ahmed's name being mentioned. She quickly hid to listen to what warden Adunni and Asma'u were talking about. When she heard everything, she felt a jab of anger and jealousy towards Asma'u. Ever since she's been with her, people are always trying to help Asma'u. Both of them had blood flowing through their veins. What exactly does Asma'u has that she does not possess. She closed the door waiting for them to disperse before she comes in.

Asma'u excused herself. She went back to the bookshelf, where Cobra and Vivian stood listening to their conversation. Cobra and Vivian didn't pry, as Asma'u wasn't willing to talk about it. Vivian packed 3 northern books for Asma'u. She asked her to send them back through her mother, and she will send more to her. Asma'u thanked her profusely, at least she'll extend her vocabulary with the books. The first time she was brought to the prison, she couldn't even speak a word in English. Communication had been hard for her. Now, she would twist past tense and present tense. All that matters is they can understand her.

Asma'u sat beside Cobra, as she thought about Ahmed and how he might react when he finds out she had stabbed a man to death. The drive back to the prison was a quiet one. Everyone was tired from the house chores. On getting back to the prison, Asma'u quickly took a bath and wore fresh clothes, then she brought out her food and shared with Grace. They didn't eat much from the kitchen that day, having a good home made meal had a way of satisfying anyone no matter how little it might be.

.........................

"I am going to the gym" Ahmed told his mother without sparing her a glance as he was late already. He ran out of the house to the parking lot scared he might be late. Ever since he spoke to Warden Adunni about Asma'u, he had decided to get his best friend Muhammad popularly known as Moh to help out with the case. Apparently, Moh is a lawyer. They've been buddies since secondary school. The plan was they were going to meet at the gym then they would head to warden Adunni's place. She is always at home during the weekends. Bala stood by the driver's side picking his teeth. Ahmed groaned when he noticed Bala had no intention of moving.

"Ina kwana Ahmadii" Bala greeted earning a glare. Ahmed cannot understand why Bala is glued to the driver’s side.

"Morning, can you step aside please. I have a place to go" Ahmed stated eyeing Bala wearily. Bala ignored Ahmed's remark. On queue his mother came out from the house all dolled up, Ahmed checked the time. It is 8:00am, where on Earth is she going this early? "Ummi, where are you going to this early morning?" Ahmed asked frustratingly, unless she's turned to a christain and is going to church, who dresses up this early, on a Sunday morning.

"I am going to Mama Amirah's place. Hand the keys to Bala" she replied curtly adjusting her beautifully patterned white veil. He didn't want to know what she is going there for. The only thing he wanted was to be in the gym with Moh. "We will drop you off at the gym, then come pick you up when you're done" Hajiya Ruqayya said smiling and blinking multiple times. Ahmed became dumbfounded. He didn't want to go to with her. She was only trying to know what he's been up to. While it lasted, he had been happy she's found her business. It took most of her time, and he did whatever he wanted. Why was she back on his case all of a sudden?