7.

Chapter 7

When Ahmed woke up from sleep, he felt light headed. He hadn't been able to sleep much after his argument with his mother. He wondered if she slept well at all. Whenever they had a misunderstanding, they always try settling it before going back to bed. Last night was just something else. She had pushed him to the wall; it pains him that the man whom she keeps portraying in a good light doesn’t even appreciate her. It pains that she tried saying his need for independence is futile. He knew he didn't have her full support over his idea about being independent; he knew she was just waiting for him to break so she could rub it in his face, which she successfully did! He just didn't think it would be this soon. She knows well that ever since his father discarded them like some bin, he never ever wanted to have anything to do with him. Why on earth would she even say what she said? He groaned frustratingly as he headed to the restroom, he performed ablution and prayed subhi. Then he started getting ready for work. He had totally forgotten maulood break. Since no one actually celebrates maulood in his area, it was just another extra resting day. Ahmed was about to exit the living room when his mother called out his name. Ahmed sighed softly before turning around. Her eyes could speak for her. She didn't sleep well too.

"Can I have a word with you?" She called out adjusting her silk nightie.

"I am late for work!" He grumbled.

"I believe today is maulood. There's no work today so sit-down let's talk" she replies sitting on the nearest sofa. Ahmed rolled his eyes in his head. How could he forget? Had he remembered, he would have been asleep now. That's if he could! Ahmed noticed the pizza and cocktail had been taken away. As for the one he smashed on the wall, the wall looked good as new. The perks of oil paint is cleaning the wall doesn't take much effort. Was it his mother that cleaned up the place? He thought feeling guilty. Then he heard the familiar humming sound of MamaNanah! He felt relieved.

"Are you trying to run away from home so much that you forgot the precious holiday you've talking about for more than three months?" She asked trying to lighten up the mood. Ahmed smiled a little looking at his mirror polished black shoe. "About last night Ahmadee, I am sorry for bringing up your father. I know how much you've always wanted to be independent. It's just that, I feel with your father you will never have to face downfall. Look at your brothers.....”

"Stepbrothers" He corrected instantly. It was like a reflect action. He couldn't tolerate having his name associated with them. Their presence in his life was what took his father away.

"Sorry stepbrothers. Everyone wants to give them their daughters to marry. Everyone wants to associate themselves with their mother. It's like they are the finest Arewa bachelors in the whole of Lagos State.......”

"Ummi, the only reason why people want to pin their daughters to them is because father is rich!" Ahmed deadpanned. Wasn't it obvious? Those boys have nothing on him. Neither of them is as tall, handsome, intelligent, smart, or anything as him. They go about prancing and showing off in his father's cars. It's not even their money for God's sake. He has his own money, what is more amazing than that?

"Yes! I know. My problem is you're not even recognized as his son in this Lagos..........”

"Ummi, both of us know my father's family fancies me best. Why are you talking about being known here? I do not care about.......”

"Will you just let me talk?!" His mother snapped. He was making every effort to make her talk irrelevant. Yeah, she knows everyone in her husband's family loves her and her son best. When her husband had added a new wife, everyone almost turn their backs on him. Had she not assured them she was okay, all hell would have broken loose. None of his family members know he's not treating her right. Whenever a family member of his is coming to visit, Her husband would use his two left feet to come back home. He would behave as if he was the most loving husband on earth. He would help in the kitchen, laughing like someone who won a lottery. The very moment the visitor leaves, he will leave the house as if his body is on fire. Ahmed didn't know all this because he went to a boarding school throughout his secondary school. He has no idea what a pushover she's been turned into.