4.

"You heard me right! I am selling this house. You and your mother will move into the new home with your family. I've noticed staying here has tampered with your respect for me and everyone above you" he said between gritted teeth.

"I will rather rent an apartment for Ummi and I than stay in the same house with your wife and her kids. The time you control whatever I do has come to an end. We are not moving in with you and that is final" Ahmed yelled angrily before leaving his father and Awwal. He could hear his father yelling at his mother from his room. He was saying things about how she had raised and insolent child. He yelled for awhile before leaving. Ahmed couldn't come out of his room. Whenever he has fallout with his father, his father made sure his mother pays the price. He couldn't look her in the eye. He couldn't bear to see her swollen red eyes. Why his mother out up with her husband surprises him. If he were a girl, he would do things differently. A small knock on his door drew his attention from thinking about thousand ways he will settle his score with his father. He didn't answer knowing it is his mother.

"Ahmadi? Are you awake?" She called out. He kept mute. From her hoarse voice, he knows she's been crying. Now, she'll try explaining and justifying his father's action. She never gets tired of defending him. "I know you're awake, come on outside so we could talk. I need to tell you something" she stated again. "If you don't want to talk to me I understand. Could you atleast come and eat dinner?" She said sniffing. It broke his heart that she was standing outside his door trying to make amendments for his father. He smiled a little knowing she will keep standing there until he comes out. He sluggishly got off his bed, he unlocked the door and peeped outside only to find her sulking.

"You know I am not a kid anymore right? I will definitely go and eat when you sleep off" he complained following her to the dinning area. The aroma of the food alone is alluring. He dished out a wrap of tuwo from the food warmer, and then he used the serving spoon and dished out the assorted Egusi soup. He rinsed his hands in washing hand bowl that she placed beside the food warmer. He started eating slowly. Although it tasted amazing, but a quarrel with ones father has a way of making everything tastes funny.

"See, your father had just gotten the land. It would take two years to finish building it. He was just here to give us heads up" She stated calmly watching as he ate slowly. He peered at his mother's face in disbelief. "Yes, he hasn't even started building the house" she stated again. Ahmed scoffed again in disbelief.

"So, since Baba no longer has reasons to annoy me, he decided to use a future quarrel now?"  His mother blinked multiple times. "He has no reason to yell at me anymore, he decided to bring up the house issue, knowing fully well we are not responsible for how long we live.......

"Ahmadii stop!" His mother cautioned banging her palms on the table. Although what her son stated felt kind of true, she wasn't about to allow him think that low of his father. Their relationship is bad, but not to the point of no return. If they could actually talk to each other without trying to strangle themselves for once, maybe they'd realize they're more similar, than different. "Your father informed me about the house calmly. He explained staying together will enable him not have divided attention......”

"Seriously?" Ahmed questioned surprisingly. He couldn't even believe she was considering the idea. Why is his mom delusional when it came to his father?

"Let me finish" she stated calmly.

"I am sorry I cannot allow you to finish Ummi. Divided attention?! He doesn't even come here!" He yelled veins popping. His mother smiled sadly at him. She knew that was just an excuse. But excuses were better than nothing. At least she will get to see her husband more often if they move into the house. "I am sorry I keep provoking him into disrespecting you, I just cannot listen to this. I know you're trying to make amendments for his mistakes, I urge you to stop. I don't hate Baba. I just don't care about him. Excuse me Ummi. I have to rest" he said washing his hands in a bowl of water. He kissed her on her cheeks and headed to his room. Love does make a person behave unbelievingly. He got into his bed, covered himself with the blanket, prayed then shut his eyes.