8 | Crossroad Blues

Rubatosis- The unsettling awareness of your own heartbeat.

•••••••••••••••••

Greenwood, Mississippi

A knock echoed in the motel room and Sam got up before Dean could, his excitement taking over him.

He swings the door open eagerly, the light of the motel room illuminating the pavement and the person standing there.

When he sees the brown-eyed girl with her duffel bag and the shoulder bag she carried all the time, he pushed down the feelings. Her eyes were puffy and red-rimmed like she had cried before coming and the bags under her eyes made the Winchester hesitate.

"Hey," Sam breathes out as Y/n stomps her way inside, the weight of her duffel bag straining her shoulder.

"Hey," she says in a slightly agitated voice and pulls the 6'4 man down in a hug.

Sam winces slightly as he wraps his arms around her. God knows what she had gone through in the past three months. Without him too because of his stupid promise. For a brief second, a wave of self-hate fills him. The girl pulls back.

He closes the door behind him and looks at Y/n's back. Her hair had grown again in the three months they hadn't seen each other.

She hugs Dean for a moment before pulling back.

"So, what happened?" Dean asks and Sam nods, seconding that question.

She sits down on the bed and smiles, looking at them. "Nothing! I just wanted to get back to hunting."

"You told me you found out what killed your parents," Dean frowns.

Sam raises his eyebrows at Y/n at the unheard information.

"Yeah- um, turns out that it was a false lead," she nods with pursed lips, looking at them.

Sam looks at Dean uncertainly, not sure whether she was telling the truth.

"What's the case? Crossroads and," she pauses, her smile faltering for a moment, "hellhounds?"

"Yeah, people making deals with demons and the hellhounds," Dean pauses, massaging his forehead, "collect the souls as 'payment'."

"Any idea how many people made the deals?" Y/n asks after a while. She looked pretty shaken, Sam noticed while frowning.

"The victim, an architect. Became an overnight success. Same for some chick- successful doctor. We think there might be one more- George Darrow."

Y/n gets up. "Then let's go visit him."

"We're going tomorrow," Sam says, speaking for the first time in the conversation.

The girl's mouth hangs slightly. "But what if the hellhounds collect his soul today- tonight?"

"I-"

Sam is interrupted by a knock on the door. With an exasperated and confused look, he opens the door cautiously.

"An extra bed for room 12," a boy who looked no older than 18 said in an uninterested voice, his hair covering the top of his eyes. Sam turns to the foldable bed at the side and frowns.

"We didn't-"

"I did," Y/n quips from behind the Winchester. Both the brothers look at her, puzzled.

After the boy pushes the bed into the room and Y/n pays him a tip, the brothers frown at her.

"You're staying here?" Dean asks.