Revolt

Touch me and you'll burn...

-Margaret Atwood

Sweat accumulated at the base of her skull before it slowly formed a trail down her spine. It used her vertebrae like an obstacle course as it staggered down, gaining speed as it picked up more moisture. 

Serena saved up all the saliva in her mouth, then swallowed to give the illusion that she drank water, but the sensation just left her wanting. She ran her dry tongue along her lips as she let her head fall back against the metal table. 

"It's a bit sadistic, isn't it?" Her hoarse voice scratched at her deprived throat. "Locking me in the very cell you tortured Poe in." Each word came out with a twinge of rasp, but she was far too tired and pained to try and correct it. "But... I think you thrive in sadistic, you've made a home for yourself there, haven't you, Hux?" She lifted an eyebrow as she opened her eyes just enough to peer at the General. 

He stood by the door, encased by the corner's shadow. But as she saw him, he stepped into the light and gave her a strong, proud smile. "I have to admit, I've been waiting for this day for some time." He boasted as he looked at her cuffed wrists and ankles. "I knew it was only a matter of time before Kylo Ren saw you for what you are: a traitor." He sneered the dirty word like it was a curse. 

Serena scoffed as she lifted her head off the table. She peeled her eyes open all the way to look at the entirety of Hux's overly pale, washed-out face. The fierce humor never dimmed from his eyes, nor did the smirk. 

"Soak it in, Hugs." She used Poe's name for him. 

The smirk slipped into a snarl as he took a step towards her. With her bound to the table, she had nowhere to go as he stood so close she went cross-eyed to look at him. She could smell the chemicals in his gelled hair and see the pores along his large nose. 

"All that power... and look where it got you." He whispered as he looked around her dirty face. Serena gritted her teeth as she pulled away from the table. The cufflinks dug into her wrists as she reared towards him. He laughed as he took a wide step back, but she could sense the looming fear just below the surface. He was putting on a brave face, but he was still the weak, frightened human she loathed. 

"You'd be nothing if it weren't for your Supreme Leader." She taunted him as she leaned forward. She could feel her pulse in her hands as the blood flow cut off at the cuffs. "All this power you think you have... it means nothing. You are a pawn!" 

Hux's lips pursed as he angrily took a step towards her. That was exactly what she was waiting for. She jerked her chin up and used her Force to throw him back against the wall. She watched in amusement as her power slammed into his chest and wiped him back off his feet. 

He hit the wall and fell to his butt disgracefully. His gelled hair broke formation and fell into his pale face. 

Serena gave a cracked smile as she looked down at him. "That's my power, Hux... and it's all my own." 

Hux lifted a hand to push his hair back before he stood to his feet. When he was upright, he had composed himself just enough to look back up at her. 

"Stun her." He gave the order with a bored expression, but watched with flaming eyes as the two guards in the room lifted their blasters and shot her at once. 

Serena groaned as the stun shots hit her in the chest and gut. She flew back against the metal table and hit her head just as her world faded to black. 

Hux smirked as he pulled on the sleeves of his coat and walked up to her. He looked at her slack jaw and the thin skin over her eyes. He mapped the blue veins along her face that pulsed with every slow beat of her heart.