11

Scorpius's POV:

The dormitory's door opens behind me, and I turn around with a grin to see a tired-looking Albus walk in. He shuts the door with a sigh and runs a hand through his hair.

"Hey!" I greet him enthusiastically, yet he barely even looks at me. "Are you okay?" I ask, now worried. I was gone for longer than I thought on my date with Rose, but it was still only 3 1/2 hours.

"Yeah, fine," Al gives me a limp grin that's surprisingly unconvincing for him. His eyes wander up to my hair and something flashes through his face. I realize my hair must still be messed up from the wind tunnel Rose dragged me through.

"Not true," I state, quickly trying to fix my hair,  "What happened?"

"While you were out snogging my cousin," he starts drily, "I met Paige Rowle," my mouth falls open.

"Okay one Rose and I did not kiss. Okay well kind of... does the cheek count?" I end up confusing myself and Albus rolls his eyes. "Two, erm, Paige Rowle...? Al it's good to have friends but... her entire family were hard core Death Eaters. Are you sure you should um... talk to her?"

"Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy," my friend stands up with his green eyes blazing, taking me aback, "Your grandfather is in AZKABAN! Why would you even ASK that?!? Paige is different than her legacy, just like you are," he scoffs and turns his back to me, leaving me stunned.

"I'm sorry," I tell him lamely. My father didn't tell me a lot about his past with the Dark Lord but he mentioned the Rowles once. Telling me to stay far, far away from any one of those traitors.

"Whatever," Albus tells me cooly, "How was your date?" I know he's trying to change the topic, but he doesn't seem happy about this one either.

"It was great. We went to a candy shop and then got Butter beers. I think I'm addicted now," I laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

"I've never been to Hogsmeade," Al tells me quietly. "I ripped up my pass..." my eyes go wide. So THAT'S why he never offers to go with me... why didn't I know this??

"We can fix that," I offer, "I'm sure your dad would owl you another one.""

"Maybe," he responds. I cross over to his side of the dorm and sit down on his bed. He finally glances at me again, his eyes still full of sadness.

"Please, Al," I try again, "Did I do something? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Scorp, I'm just tired," I frown as Al slumps down besides me. I know he's not telling me something, but I also know him enough to see that he'll talk when he's ready.

"Okay," I whisper. We stay quiet for a minute, letting the room grow darker in the dimming sunlight through the window. I'm about to go to my own bed when Albus's head settles onto my shoulder softly. I freeze and glance down, seeing that he's actually managed to fall asleep sitting up. A small smile tugs at the corners of my lips and I rest my head down on top of his.

Albus sighs and cuddles closer instinctively. I open my eyes immediately, feeling myself blush. Get it together, you idiot, you hug all the time!!! I chide myself. Still, we've never really been this close before and it's nerve-racking in a good kind of way.

"Scorp?" Al asks softly

"Yeah?"

"I didn't mean it..." he tells me before going back to sleep. I blink, confused, trying to figure out what "it" refers to.

"Whatever you're sorry for, it's okay," I whisper, hugging him carefully. We drift off to sleep like that, inseparable and together, even though we seem to be drifting apart.