Chapter 9

•your pov•

My hands began to shake as I reached for the car handle.
"Do you want me to go in with you?" Tom placed his hand on my shoulder.
"Are you sure that's a good idea? What if he's home?" I shake my head. "He should be at work, but I'm not sure- and I'm not gonna text him."
"(Y/n), it'll be fine. Let's go." Tom gets out of the car.
I follow.
As we enter the apartment complex, we head to the correct door.
Chris and I always kept a spare key under the matt, so I pick it up and stick the key inside the lock.
Opening the door, I wasn't surprised to see clothes, empty chip bags, and other stuff covering the floor.
I always cleaned up, but he always did the dishes. So at least he had clean plates.
I step around a bunch of his socks and go towards the room.
"Has your place always been this messy?" Tom looks down at the boxers that lay right by his feet.
"No, I always cleaned up. He's like an actual child." I say angrily as I stuff my left behind clothes into my bag. "Unbelievable."
"You need help?" Tom bends over and grabs one of my shirts.
"Can you just grab all my stuff from the bathroom." I hand him the bag. "Thanks." I smile.
He walks off to the bathroom and leaves me in my old room.
Looking around, it seems like he had already done the favor of removing all of our pictures around the house. I go to my small vanity with all my perfumes and lotions.
The perfumes and lotions were knocked over and it was all disorganized.
Once Chris told me how much it bothered him that I kept my perfumes on one side and my lotions on the other side. Guess he fixed that problem.
On the bed, all the pillows had been on the floor. I don't know how he could leave this place so disgusting. I walk into the living room to collect pictures I had up of either friends or family members.
I wasn't shocked when I found all of the picture frames smashed. There was blood, drops of it next to the picture frames.
For a moment I begin to panic and look around the room. The wall had a hole in it.
"Holy shit." I whisper to myself as I looked around and noticed- Chris wasn't just a slob. He had trashed the place. The kitchen, seemed like he just ate there briefly.
The living room looks like where he threw his tantrum. I heard the door creep open.
"(Y/n)?" The voice called out.
I turned and looked. He wasn't supposed to be home.
"Chris?" I slowly approached him.
His eyes were puffy and his hair was messy and unkept.
"What are you doing here?" He sets down his bags on the floor and shuts the door behind him.
"I'm getting the rest of my stuff." I say quietly.
We both stand there in silence.
"Um." He rubs his hands. I look, he had huge cuts on his knuckles and looked like it had recently bled.
"Chris?" I reach out and grab his hand for a closer look. "How did this happen?" I knew the answer.
"(Y/n)." He pulls his hands away. "I'm fine. I know you don't give a shit about me anyway." He scoffs.
"Chris I care about you."
"Do you love me? D-Did you ever even love me?" His voice breaks.
"You know that I love you Chris." I shake my head.
We had been through almost everything together- but deep down I knew that in the back of my mind I always thought about Tom. It was almost impossible to forget about him.
My time with Tom couldn't compare to the time I had spent with Chris, but they were two completely different people. I was treated better with Tom.
"Do you?" He crosses his arms.
"Yes." I nod.
"Then why are you leaving?" His words left me quiet.
I loved Chris, but things had changed between us and we couldn't go back. When I first met him I was completely vulnerable. It might have been shitty, but he was my support when I needed it and maybe I feel in love with the thought of being in the arms of someone who could help me forget. I bite the inside of my mouth. Confused on how to answer him without being direct.
"It's complicated." Were the only words I could let out.
"You're so fucking confusing." He shakes his head and groans in frustration.
"Me? Confusing? You must be joking." I laugh.
"Yeah you. You've always been unsure about our relationship."
"Maybe because you always show me mixed signals. You always talk about yourself and never ever thought about what I wanted. You wanted kids, you wanted to get married. I never wanted any of that! You were always different around other people, trying to show them how perfect we were- but in reality we were the opposite of perfect." I snap.
He stands there silently.
"This whole relationship was always you. From the beginning. I've benefited nothing from this relationship. I didn't learn anything, about the hardships of relationships that turn out to be worth it in the end. Because all of this." I point at him. "Wasn't worth it."
"You don't think I had problems with our relationship? (Y/n)-" He groans. "You're never going to change. You're never happy- anything I do, you're never satisfied." He hangs his head.
"And I know it's because I'm not him." Chris voice breaks again.
I look down at the ground. "We both were never happy."
Chris and I had both had hard times with previous relationships. After his last relationship, he had gone through severe depression.
We both helped each other through that, and now that we already helped each other- we didn't need each other. It was the truth. We both used each other for a cure from our pain.
"Alright, I think I got everything." Tom yells from the bathroom as he steps out. Chris and I both turn.
"He's here?" Chris grabs onto my arm.
"Yeah I'm going to his home since you kicked me out of mine." I pulled my arm away. "Chris we both knew we weren't happy. This was going to happen inevitably." I shrug.
"I didn't want it to end like this (Y/n)." Chris sighs.
Tom walks over to us. "Don't worry, I'll take care of her." He pushes past, a bit angrily and walks out. I pick up my bag and start to head out the door.
"Goodbye Chris." I grab the door handle. He quickly reaches over and lays his hand over mine.
"Goodbye (Y/n)." He sighs. I tug at the handle which makes him move his hand away.
I shut the door.

...

"You gonna say anything?" Tom places his hand on my thigh.
"No." I rest my head on my hand. "I just wanna go home."
I look over and see a smile form on Tom's face.
"Home. Luv the sound of that." He squeezes my thigh.
"What are you going to tell your family?" I look down at his hand. I place my hand over his and intertwines our fingers.
"That's right." He pauses. "Guess your gonna have to meet the family!"
I shoot a nervous look.
"Don't worry, they're lovely people." He squeezes my hand.
"I don't doubt that at all. It's just strange. I'm literally just a random girl you found on the beach." I couldn't help but let out a little chuckle.
He also chuckles. "They'll love you."
"So tell me, what's London like?" I change the subject.
"It's a nice change of pace from America, trust me." He sighs. "I'm sure you'll love it."
"As long as you're there." I smile slightly.
"Hope you like dogs."
"Of course I do, Tessa looks so sweet." I nod.
"Just wait till you meet her then."
"I can't wait."