Chapter 35: Almost But Not Quite

Chapter 35: Almost but Not Quite

"I thought you said we wouldn't find you on the ground." Lucas teased as he helped me up.

"Well I'm sorry I fell and hit my head on a rock." I winced rubbing the back of my head.

"Why did you fall?" He asked me. I'm really glad it was him who found me and not someone else.

"Um.." I trailed off looking at Ganter. He shook his head. It wasn't time. Now to make up a story. "Well, I thought I heard something so I turned around and fell backwards. I'm very... Clumsy." That sounded believable. Right?

"Oh." He teased as we walked inside. "I thought something interesting had happened."

I playfully pushed his arm. "I'm sorry I'm not interesting enough for you."

"Me too." He laughed as we reached my room. I glanced at Zenan's room which was just down the hall. His door was open and his light was on.

"Thank you for coming to check on me." I said turning my attention back to Lucas.

"Anything for you m'lady." He bowed. I faked a laugh, but inside I shuddered. It was too soon.

"Mads, I know that laugh was fake." Lucas used Zenan's nickname for me.

"Maybe your not funny." I rolled my eyes.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah sure?" I said turning back around. He looked at me nervously before he started to lean in. Our noses almost touched before I realized what he was doing and I stepped backward.

"I think you should go." I said as politely as I could before shutting my door and locking him out.

Did that seriously almost happen?

•*•*•

After Madlynn had left, I went upstairs to my room.

"You okay?" Blake asked appearing in the doorway. "I have Lucas distracting Rhiann if you want to talk."

"How am I supposed to tell her how I feel when she absolutely hates me?" I asked him, leaning back feeling defeated.

"She might not hate you. She's always guarded her feelings." He told me.

"She still might not feel the same way." I frowned.

"Just try and get to know her. She might let you in."

"She won't let me in. Not now." I told him. She wouldn't. I knew she wouldn't.

"Why won't she. This better be a good reason Z." Blake gave me a weird look.

"The night I fell asleep in her bed, she was afraid I had done something to her. I'd never do anything to her." I really wished I hadn't of been so stupid and fallen asleep.

"She was just being cautious. If I were her, I would have been worried too." He told me. Quickly added, "not like your that kind of guy."

"I get what your saying." I sighed sadly. "But I know she doesn't feel the same way."

"Did you know that she bawled her eyes out when you left? She only stopped when I let her go looking for you."

"Your joking. She wouldn't cry just for me leaving."

"Oh she did, believe him." Percy appeared in the door.

"But it still doesn't me she feels that way about me too." I said. They both gave me a weird look. "Okay, then how am I supposed to tell her?"

"Here's the plan." Blake said as the three or us huddled in a circle to see who would do what. "Welcome to 'Operation Z+M.' boys."