part twenty-one

it's been five days since everything's happened. nate ended up getting put on a temporary suspension from school, even though his crime deserved expulsion, despite everything cal did to help him.

everyone, including me, found out that nate apparently straggled maddy that night at the carnival, choking her because the scene she made and because she accused him of cheating on her, which i still don't understand.

personally, i've tried keeping my distance from basically everyone. i rarely come out my room so i don't even see my mom anymore.

the day after nate's arrest from school, the entire school day was filled with different mandatory assault survivor videos. we watched them almost every period.

i found it harder to cover up my bruises as they got darker and darker each day, them going through the healing process, and considering maddy had gotten caught with hers at school, i decided to skip the rest of the week.

cassie informed me with updates everyday with a facetime call, her telling me maddy was on the verge of ending it, at least it seemed so.

all she did all day was wear the same furry coat and text nate during class multiple times, none which he replied to.

part of me feels bad for her, considering he did actually choke her and now just ignores her as well.

on the other hand, he's been blowing me up. it only took a couple hours before he flooded my phone with paragraphs about how he'd explain everything to me if i'd meet him.

i won't lie and say i didn't read word for word of every message he's sent me this past week, but i've yet to respond.

i just don't want to get caught up in what he has going on with maddy right now, especially because i could add on to the mess by sharing my own experience with him.

imessage from mom:
make sure you get cookies, this is going to be so fun!!
2:43pm

i sigh as i walk out the grocery store, already having everything we need.

tonight my mom and i are having a girls night at the house, which she's basically forcing me to do.

she says i've seemed off lately, with not socializing with anyone or even going to school. i can't say i blame her, i am making it obvious something's going on.

she's tried asking me about the nate situation, it being the talk of the town, but i refuse to even say his name around her.

hopefully later tonight she doesn't try bringing it up again because i swear i'll say fuck the stupid girls night and go up to my room.

when i make it home, i put away the groceries she sent me out to get and kick off my shoes, glad i have the house to myself for a couple more hours until she gets off from work.

i slowly walk up stairs, ready to watch more love island in my comfortable bed.

i walk in my room, my body jumping in the doorway. my feet start backing away, but i'm too scared to take my eyes off him.

"brianna, please wait-" he says, standing from my bed as he walks near me.

"no, get away from me, you can't fucking be here." i snack his hands away, not letting them grab ahold of me.