part seventeen

"wow, looks exactly how i remember it." i say, running my hands along the counter tops.

he chuckles as he throws his keys down, walking to the fridge to open it.

"youre forgetting we didnt break up not too long ago." hardin says.

he grabs the milk before reaching in the cabinets to get two glasses for us, pouring some in both.

he then gets the case of oreos, setting the container in between our bodies.

i smile, jumping onto the counter, letting my legs swing as hardin does the same, us both reaching for our first cookie.

"it seems like it's been a while though. seems like forever ago we dated." i finally speak, dipping my oreo in my milk.

"hasn't been too long. that just means you've had a lot of shit going on to where your life's moving too goddamn fast." he states.

i mean he's not wrong. i just feel like events are back to back in my life. starting from ending things with hardin to what's happened tonight at the carnival.

there's so much that fills in the space between.

my life sorta stresses me out, but for some odd reason, right now i feel completely fine, even after the shitty night i've had.

i glance back over at hardin, him licking the cream from one side of his split cookie.

"at least right now it seems pretty normal. i haven't had a moment like this in forever." i smile, making his lips slowly form a returning one.

"glad i could be the one to give it to you."

we both look away after realizing we haven't taken our eyes off each other for a hot second.

i feel my face becoming hot, me wanting to throw up. i can't believe even after everything, hardin still has this effect on me. making me blush and shit.

just then the kitchen light comes on, almost blinding me from my eyes being adjusted to the dark room.

we look over to find hardin's little brother standing by the switch. "sorry, i didn't know anyone was down here. mom told me to get her some water." the ten year old states making hardin laugh.

"you're alright little dude, we were just finishing up."

hardin jumps off the counter and grabs his cup and the oreos. he looks to me, nodding his head towards the basement door.

i copy his actions, bringing my cup with me as well. as i walk past his little brother, i give him a quick hug since we use to be close.

"i miss you. you don't ever come over anymore." he whispers to me making my heart melt.

i smile as we pull apart. "i miss you too. i swear we'll hangout soon, just the two of us." i say, his face lighting up.

my hands ruffle through his hair as i fully stand back up, walking to the basement door that hardin has open for me as he stands off to the side.

i lead the way down the stairs before turning the corner to go sit on the couch.

hardin walks over, turning on the tv and sets up netflix before taking a seat next to me.