part thirty-two

brianna

i wake up to my body literally feeling numb. its almost completely silent in the room except for the irritating noise of a monitor and the faint sound of people talking beyond the room i'm in.

i finally open my heavy eyelids, slowly lifting my head to scan the room. my mom sits, sleeping slouched over in a chair across from me.

my mouth is too dry to let out any words, me smacking them a few times as i continue to lay down.

so this is what it feels like? this is that heartbreaking moment that rue described once before about feeling like you've completely failed at life.

although the lights are off, the room still feels bright, the light seeping through  from the closed windows and bouncing off the reflection of the white walls.

my body feels like i've been asleep for years, yet still tired.

i push myself, finally being able to sit up fully, clearing my throat as i try to bare out words.

"mom?" i say, in almost a whimper.

it doesn't matter though, her motherly instincts instantly waking her up.

"oh my god, brianna." she says, rushing over to me to embrace me in a hug. i feel her muscles tighten around me as she begins to softly cry, breaking my heart.

"im so glad you're alright." she says to me, wiping her cheeks as she pulls away.

i slightly smile. i look away, reobserving the room. i remember what happened, yet i don't actually know what happened.

i turn back to her, frantically. "i didn't- you know, did i?" i ask her, concerned on how deep of shit i'm in.

she shakes her head, letting out a small laugh to my surprise. "no, god no. thank god, but still, i don't know what made you want to try drugs in the first place."

my face is blank, even more confused than i was before. i look to her again, about to ask more questions before she rushes to the little remote thingy.

"oh, we have to alert the doctor that you're awake." she says. almost instantly, there's a faint knock at the door, a short female doctor inviting herself in.

"hi brianna, im doctor coleman. nice to meet you!" she says, full of energy. "first off, i wanna ask how are you feeling and all?"

i glance between her and my mom, smiling slightly once again. "i literally feel fine." i say, genuinely confused on why i'm in the hospital if i didn't overdose.

"that's good. so i understand you had one hell of a fall while bowling, due to lost of balance? right? and also you had some, well party favors in there too?" she laughs at her own joke, my mom smiling too.

what the fuck is going on. literally why is everyone so chill right now.

i just nod slightly, looking as she continues to read off the clip board in her hands.

"like i was telling your mom, i understand this is normal for teens to try new things, but i hope this helps you learn you're better off not dabbling into that stuff anymore." she continues.

she ends up telling me the fall caused a mild concussion and that i had done bruising and swelling to the back of my head, but that's it.

"well, that's all i've got, you were only out for the remainder of the night, nothing out the normal. i prescribed you with something for the pain, because you'll probably have intense headaches for the next week or so."

"thank you doctor coleman." my mom says, still standing near the bed with me.

"oh one more thing. should i send him back now?" the doctor looks at my mom. she glances at me, sighing as she nods.