chapter fifteen

NGL, I struggled with this update so much. I don't know why. I have the rest of the story planned out ((mostly)) its just these next few chapters leading up to the next conflict that I'm struggling with.

"Jay, wake up!" Jason felt the air rush out of him as a weight landed on his chest. He opened his eyes to see Damian laying on top of him, a huge smile on his face. Jason quirked a brow. "Come on, Jay! Richard said he would take us to the zoo today! I want to see the animals."

Jason sat up, forcing Damian to slide into his lap. "You want to go to the zoo with Dick?"

Damian nodded enthusiastically. "Mhm. And you. I don't want to go if you don't go."

Jason smiled down at Damian. "Well, if you want to go to the zoo, you need to eat all of your breakfast today."

Damian nodded. "I will, but you need to join us. Get up."

Jason scoffed. "When did you get so bossy, little one?"

Damian just stuck his tongue out crawling off of Jason. He ran over to his side of the room, grabbing a change of clothes. "We are leaving after breakfast.  Let's go, let's go, let's go!"

Jason chuckled, getting out of bed. He got dressed, following Damian down stairs to the dining room. They entered, taking their seats at the table. Everyone at the table said good morning to them and Jason grunted a greeting, Damian being much more chipper than him.

Dick cleared his throat when the table was set. "Damian, are you excited about going to the zoo?"

Damian nodded vigorously, stuffing a pancake in his mouth. "Mhm."

Dick turned to Jason. "Will you be joining us?"

Jason snorted. "Of course. Do you think I would let you take Damian anywhere without me?" Dick deflated slightly, looking back to his breakfast. The rest of the meal was eaten in silence. After everyone was done, they gathered in the front foyer and Jason looked at Bruce with a raised brow. "You're coming too?"

"Yes. I took the day off. Family bonding is important."

"If only mother were here." Damian sighed.

Jason ruffled his hair. "We shall see her soon, little demon."

"I miss her."

"So do I."

Bruce cleared his throat. "Shall we head to the zoo then?"

Everyone mumbled an agreement, making their way outside to the car. They got inside, buckling up before taking off towards the zoo. Damian was looking out the car window in awe, his eyes wide as the city passed them by. Jason looked at him fondly.

They parked in the zoo parking lot, everyone stepping out of the car. Jason grabbed Damian's hand as they made their way to the zoo entrance.

"Jay, we're here! We're going to see so many animals! Are you excited!?" Damian practically buzzed beneath Jason's hand, a huge grin on his face as Bruce paid for their entrance into the zoo.

Jason nodded. "I am. Probably not as excited as you though, little demon."

Damian giggled. "No one is as excited as me."

Jason hummed an agreement,  looking around as they entered the zoo. There weren't that many people seeing as the zoo just opened but the few that were there were mingling about, sometimes casting glances at the expensive clothes their group wore. Jason glanced at the other members of their 'family'. Tim and Cassandra were talking quietly to each other, walking at the front of the group. Dick and Bruce were looking at a map, plotting out the best course through the zoo. Damian was staring at every stand they passed in awe, his eyes wide.

Jason reminded himself that this was Damian's first time going to the zoo. He needed to make it special.

"Which animal do you want to see first, Damian?" 

The toddler paused, looking at the map presented to him by his father. He glanced up at Jason, who gave him a nod. Damian looked back to the map. "I want to see the tigers." Bruce nodded, looking at the map to plot the best course to get to the line enclosure. Damian squeezed Jason's hand. "What animal do you want to see, Jay?"

"Whatever animals please you."

Damian slapped his leg with his free hand. "No, you doofus, what do you really want to see?"

Jason furrowed his brow at Damian. "Where did you learn that word?"

"I heard Stephanie call Timothy it. Don't ignore the question, Jay." Damian glared at him.

Jason looked around. "I want to see the alpacas."

Damian nodded. He turned to Bruce, tugging on the end of his shirt. Bruce looked down at Damian's wide eyes. "Father, Jason would like to see the alpacas after the tigers."

"Dami-"

"Jay, I want you to enjoy this trip too. Its not always all about me." Damian turned to his brother. He smiled at him. "Now come on, we have animals to see and sugar to talk father into letting us eat."

"I heard that." Bruce called over to his youngest, a fond smile on his face.

Jason allowed himself to be dragged through the zoo by Damian, talking to the child about all the animals and reading the signs outside the enclosures for him. Damian's eyes were wide with wonder the entire time, taking as much in as he could. By the time they were nearing the end of their trip to the zoo, Jason was carrying Damian, the small child looking dangerously close to nodding off in his arms. Jason kissed his forehead as they exited the zoo, the toddler having fallen asleep on the walk back to the car.

As he was putting Damian in his booster seat he heard a snap of a camera. He turned to see Alfred standing there, lowering a camera with a soft smile on his face. "For the photo albums."

Jason smiled at him, getting into the car next to Damian. He looked at Tim, Cass, and Dick as they piled in as well, Bruce getting in the front with Alfred. Jason felt something warm rise in his chest. He had actually had a really good time and not all of it was because of Damian. He wasn't sure what to make of it.

Perhaps...perhaps staying here wouldn't be all that awful.