prologue

If the ages seem off, it is because I am going by YJ season 3 ages (mostly). The team will be making some sporadic appearances but this is mainly a Batfam fic, just an FYI. And because this is a fic, it does not follow canon strictly at all (obviously).

So, without further ado, here is the prologue for Hustle.

Jason Todd woke up to the sound of giggling. He cracked one eye, looking around his room to see if he could find the source. There didn't appear to be anyone in his room but Jason knew looks were deceiving. He smirked, sitting up in bed. He reached for the katana he kept by his bedside, pulling it out of its sheath as he got out of bed.

"Oh, I do hope there are no intruders in my room." Jason called out, his smirk growing into a smile as he heard giggling coming from behind his curtains. He moved slowly over there, talking to himself as he did so. "It would be terrible for them if they were behind my curtains. I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy what I am about to do to them. It would be really painful for them if they were still hiding when I got there." The giggling intensified. "Oh, I mean it. I-"

"Okay, okay! You got me!" A small form jumped out from behind the curtains, tackling Jason to the ground. "Boo!"

"No." Jason drawled from his position on the ground. "I believe it is you who has gotten me, little demon."

The small child gasped. "You mean it, Jay? I got you? Really?"

Jason chuckled, sitting up. "Of course, little one. I wouldn't lie to you, would I?"

"No, if you did, mother wouldn't be happy with you."

Jason smirked. "You're right. Now, what are you doing in my room?"

"Mother sent me to wake you up. She says she has a mission for you."

Jason nodded, placing the small child on the ground next to him as he stood up. "Well, what do you say we go find out what your mother wants, eh, Dami?"

The four year old nodded vigorously, jumping up to grab onto Jason's hand. "Lead the way, Jay."

Jason smiled down at Damian, walking through the hallways of the marble palace towards where he knew Talia to be. It was a comfortable silence between the two of them, an air of trust around them as they walked.

Jason was Damian's protector, his big brother, ever since he woke up in that Lazarus pit and Talia took him under her wing. Talia considered Jason a second son and that's why she trusted him with the protection detail of Damian, her blood son and heir. She had him under go vigorous training for months before even introducing the two of them, and even then, Jason was on a probationary period. If he slipped up once, Talia would not hesitate to kill him.

Luckily, he did not mess up and now he had the most coveted job at the League. Well, what was left of it, anyways.

Jason and Damian had grown close over the past few months that he had been protecting him and Damian considered him family, much the same way Talia did. He was invited to family dinners even allowed sometimes to sit at the table with them rather than stand guard.

It had been quite the year and a half since Jason had woken up in the Lazarus pit. He still had no memory of his past life but he was making a new life for himself, one he quite enjoyed, and that was all that mattered to him. He had a loving and caring family, a job he excelled at, and a roof over his head.

What more could he ask for?

Jason and Damian got to the garden where Talia was, entering to find Talia kneeling by the roses she was tending to. She looked up when her sons entered, a soft smile coming onto her face. "Ah, my boys. Just the two I was looking for."

Jason bowed. "You asked to see me, Mistress Talia?"

Talia lifted Jason until he was standing. "Please, call me mother." She kissed his forehead. "I asked to see you because I have a mission for you. An important one."

"You can count on me." Jason smiled at Talia. "Mother."

Talia grinned back at him. "I know I can, my boy. You see, this mission jeopardizes your grandfather's life. I need you to protect him." Jason looked over at Damian. "Damian will be safe with me, we will accompany you. Your grandfather is on an island away from here, overseeing some business. We got word that some people may try to make an attempt on his life under some false information given to them. So, I need you to protect him. Understood?"

Jason nodded. "You have my word, nothing will happen to Ra's. I will lay my life on the line for him."

Talia kissed his forehead again. "I know you will and for that, I am eternally grateful. Come now, we must prepare to depart immediately. It is a long flight."

Jason followed after Talia, Damian at his side. The small child slipped his hand into his brother's, the thought of losing him scaring him slightly. Not that he would ever show that, of course, so he settled for subtle signs of affection.

Jason squeezed Damian's hand lightly, letting him know he understood what the four year old needed. They continued on after Talia, coming up upon the palace once more. They entered it, going straight to the weapons vault. Talia instructed Jason to go to his room to get dressed for the mission, and he returned moments later in his gear. Talia smiled at him, attaching the weapons to his waist and back.

"There. Now, I shall leave you to so I can prepare myself. I will return in a moment." Talia left the two brothers in the weapons room, coming back dressed in her work gear. "Ready, my sons?"

"Always."

"Yes, mother."

"Good, then we shall depart at once. Like I said, it is a long flight and every minute is precious." Talia ushered her sons out of the room and towards the roof of the palace where a helicopter was waiting. She got in the pilot's seat, waiting for Jason and Damian to be strapped in before taking off.

Damian poked Jason's thigh. Jason hummed in response. "Jay?"

"Yes, Dami?"

"I hope you don't die."

"Me either, but I will protect our family with my life. You know that." Jason smiled down at Damian, ruffling his hair before slipping his mask on over his face. "Don't worry, little demon. Everything will work out the way its supposed to."