fifteen | an odd feeling

PAZ AND GINNY made their way down to the rest of the Weasley's early Christmas morning, joining them at the kitchen table.  Mrs. Weasley had already prepared breakfast, the smell of bacon filling Paz's nose. 

"Happy Christmas girls!" Mrs. Weasley exclaims, wrapping both Paz and Ginny in bone crushing hugs.  Breakfast went by quickly, Paz remaining silent nearly the entire time.  Something was off.  Paz, of course, knew most things were off right now, but in this moment, something especially felt off.  Though, she couldn't put her finger on what it was.

After everyone had finished their breakfast, Mrs. Weasley handed out presents.  Paz was very thankful to receive another iconic Weasley sweater; this year hers was grey with an emerald 'P' in the middle. 

To Paz's disappointment, she wasn't able to buy presents this year.  Though nearly no one could, as going out was growing more and more dangerous, Paz didn't have any money to do so anyways.  Pansy had grown unable to continue sending her money, and Paz, as a 16 year old, had no way to make any herself.

She thanked Mrs. Weasley once again before heading out of the sitting room, wanting to get away from everyone.  Paz threw on her new sweater and walked directly into their backyard, brushing off snow from a chair and taking a seat in it. 

She watches as the snow falls onto the ground, reminiscing on the times where she and Pansy would take full advantage of freshly fallen snow and dive into it to make snow angels.  Paz thinks of all the times their small group would head over to Malfoy Manor after Christmas day to have snowball fights and see who could build the best snowman.  All of that seemed like centuries ago, Paz wondering how life could change so dramatically in a few short years. 

The feeling that had been going through Paz's whole body since the early morning wasn't fading, she began to grow worried that something awful was happening back at home to Pansy, possibly to Theo or Blaise.  This odd feeling had never come up before, she didn't exactly know what the outcome would be of it.

Her thoughts got interrupted as the door swung open to reveal George.  He clears off a chair next to Paz, taking a seat beside her.

"It's bloody freezing out here," George mumbles, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Then why did you come out here in the first place?" Paz questions, George ignoring the sarcasm that was dripping from her voice.

"Because leaving you alone right now is not a very smart move."

Paz scoffs, turning her head to face George.  "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that we're worried about you," George replies, earning a sarcastic laugh from Paz.  "I'm serious Paz, as this all gets worse you grow to be a bigger target because of your family.  You should think about not returning after the holiday is over."

Paz leans back in her chair and crosses her arms over her chest.  "There's no way I'm not going back to Hogwarts."

"Well you should at least think about it, don't be so quick to-"

"I'm going back George, and that's final. I appreciate that you're trying to keep me safe, but I can manage my own."

George sighs as Paz gets up from her chair and heads back inside, taking a seat at the kitchen table next to Ginny. Mrs. Weasley hands the two girls both a cup of hot chocolate, Paz and Ginny mumbling quiet 'thanks'.

This was always a huge reason as to why Paz loved being at the Burrow. Not the hot chocolate in particular, but because she always felt loved, like she mattered, she felt like she had a real family. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley always treated Paz as their own and Paz was forever grateful for this. The only thing she didn't love about the Burrow was that she never got alone time, George invading her alone time outside was one of many examples. Regardless, she loved this family so much, and despite disagreeing with them wanting bring her into hiding, it made her happy that she mattered to them.