54

When it came to verbally addressing Thranduil, or even having a conversation in general, Tauriel had steadily found herself struggling. This wasn't to say she wasn't articulate in any way or form, it was more as she grew the more jaded it seemed she was treated. It was awkward. Being one of few of his son's friends, Tauriel did not think she would be treated so coldly, not that Thranduil was openly warm, but he seemed to periodically keep her at arm's length.

Conversations were stale, constructed awkwardly and were strictly business, as they should be as his Captain. But the general tones in which he spoke with, they had a way of making Tauriel feel maybe not shaken, but unsure of just where she stood. As perceptive as ever, Thranduil would often find some quip to throw into the conversation, half the time she thought he did it just to see her squirm. It wasn't like the Elvenking was known for kindness, was it?

So of course, she was approaching this meeting with the same level of cold dread as she would if she was outside fighting a spider. In fact, she'd rather deal with the spider than Thranduil; at least she knew where she stood more times with the spider, and knew how to deal with it. Thranduil, no. She did not know how Liruliniel managed, no offence to anyone, she must be the most tolerant elf around, honestly.

Regardless, she moved down the stairs to where Thranduil was currently residing, a small offshoot space which was sparse of furniture really, just seemed a place to stand and overlook everything from this vantage point. The long silvery embroided robe which had been almost carelessly flung over the throne was now being worn, his crown however was not. This didn't make him anymore approachable, in fact the expression of general indifference proved as such.

"I was coming to report to you," her tone was simple, casual even as if this was nothing new, which it wasn't. She sighed a little as her boots made quiet echoing sounds as she descended to be on level ground to him. Still didn't make it better, he was still taller than her and the general aura which surrounded Thranduil day in and out kept her well at arm's length without his efforts.

"I thought I ordered that nest destroyed, not two moon's past." Quick to comment and shoot down any efforts on her behalf of defence, Thranduil wasted little time in getting to the point of this whole report meeting.

Tauriel schooled her expression, her hands limply by her sides as she looked at the blonde before her. This was another tedious, almost painful thing about these meetings: the flippancy. Thranduil would seemingly choose when to care about the spiders and the problems outside, be it almost daily. At times he wouldn't comment, just remain blank like a sheet of paper, and other times he'd have a sarcastic comment to give. At this point in time however, his voice wasn't sarcastic but more serious. The one few times where he was opting to care, it seemed and was taking this as seriously as anyone else could.

"We cleared the forest as ordered to, my Lord. But more spiders keep coming up from the South. They are spawning in the ruins of Dol Guldur; if we could kill them at their source-" Tauriel explained, as simply as she could while resisting to roll her eyes as she paced away from the stoically standing king. Thranduil hadn't moved, he remained almost statuesque as he watched her say her piece. Tauriel knew this forest, she grew up here; it was her home and she knew where and when something wasn't right. There was only one place where the spiders could keep coming from, and it was the one place many had left behind so many years ago.

She vaguely remembered Liruliniel speaking fondly of what was formally Amon Lanc, Legolas had asked, when they were a lot younger, what it was like. Simply and curiously like a child does, and Liruliniel had described it in such vivid fashion it was so easy to imagine herself walking through those halls, regardless of the fact Tauriel had never been there, or seen it. Not even distantly on the horizon.