07

The journey in which Liruliniel and Thranduil first took was now done in silence; not that they made a lot of noise the first time, but the older elves which were accompanying them seemed to be paying more attention to the surroundings than what they ever did. It was like they knew something wasn't right. In all honesty, between the two younger elves, Liruliniel was definitely the slower on the uptake than the blonde elf-Prince was. Thranduil had felt the change in atmosphere almost instantly. It was clear he wasn't alone, those following felt it too.

And actually, now that she was returning, Liruliniel felt this suffocating weight. Like someone was pushing down on her shoulders with such a force that she was struggling to stay upright. She hadn't noticed this the first time until the latter part before leaving. She had been too distracted with getting away from Thranduil. In all honesty, she was glad he was with her when they noticed this place. She didn't think anyone would believe her if she reported back alone. Who could deny what was real if it came from the heir to the throne? Liruliniel didn't see anyone calling Thranduil out. Not only because of Oropher perhaps coming to defend his son, but Thranduil was more than capable of shooting people down himself. He had done it to her enough times.

Why hadn't she felt this way the first time? She was aware she was having fun in the odd game of chase. But even still...for someone who spent so long amongst the trees whenever she could, she wasn't being very intuitive now, was she? The dread which was seeping through her like wading through water was making her stomach plummet and drop. She felt like she was on the edge of a cavernous abyss and about to fall over the edge and fall to nothingness. The dread and sickness which she was feeling was just a byproduct of whatever this all was.

"Here!" Liruliniel exclaimed quietly, she saw the sick tree she had tried to jump to. If anything, it looked worse now that the light was dimming ever so slightly. It wasn't getting late in the day, it was like the light was being seeped out and away from this area. She hesitantly jumped down, she tried not to jump or flinch when Oropher landed beside her. He was so silent that he just appeared. His taller form overshadowed her as he looked around, it was dark enough but now he stayed beside her Liruliniel was well and truly in shadow.

Baramaethor had come with them, and at any other time Liruliniel would've been pleased that she had proved him wrong, that he was wrong and was silent. But she couldn't. She wrapped her arms around herself and looked towards Thranduil when he walked to her side. He looked uneasy, the tension evident in the way in which he held himself. He was ready to spring into action if needed. No one felt safe here. What was safe wasn't anymore, and Baramaethor walked around the clearing looking over everything. He spotted the stream Liruliniel had spoken of, he crouched down and examined it while Oropher and Hérion had walked a little way to the side. The tree line was thinning out the more they walked from this clearing. It was like a natural path had slowly appeared from nowhere.

"I feel sick." Liruliniel looked up at Thranduil with a strained look. He was watching where his father had disappeared to, his form and her father's could only just be seen. Hearing her speak, he glanced down at her. "Was it like this earlier?"

"Yes. You were just ignorant to it." Thranduil commented, watching as she leaned her hands against her knees and took deep breaths. "What is wrong?"

"I'm struggling to breathe." Liruliniel looked up at him with a frown. "Can't you feel it too? The air...there is something wrong with the air."

Thranduil looked around, everyone else seemed to be okay. Well, Baramaethor didn't seem affected by whatever was troubling her. He was too busy inspecting the dying trees. Their fathers were still exploring ahead of them. There was something very oppressive about the area, but not so much where he was struggling to breathe. He felt weighed down, like his legs were being sucked downwards into the earth below his feet. Everything within him was practically screaming at him to leave, to get away, yet it took so much to ignore the feeling and stay put. How would that look if he ran away?