Chapter Sixteen: Snow: Cold and Beautiful

I slowly dragged myself down the hall. I hadn't been able to stop thinking about everything that happened today. The thoughts kept running through my mind. First, I find out Greyson brought my parents back. Then, I discover that they adopted Andrew after I had left. And to top it all off, my little brother, Ashton, is Karissa's mate. Damn.

I couldn't help, but feel bad for her. Just days ago, she was in love with Dylan, but now she says the near thought of him makes her sick.

Ashton spoke a few words to me. His facial expression was hard the entire time, and I knew that it was partially my fault as mine remained stone-like as well. We greeted each other and left each other with a brief nod and a mind full of regrets.

I spoke with Andrew, too. He told me about how he was put into adoption directly after he was born. At the age of fourteen, my parents adopted him and he moved into the room across from mine. He brought up the conversation about meeting his birth parents. I could tell it was hard to talk about, so I told him that I didn't need to know and just left.

I had dinner with my parents and Ashton for the first time in nearly four years. My dad and mom seemed to be the only one in control of their emotions. They seemed so...happy, but Ashton remained silent the entire night. Few words were spoken. I tried to ask him questions, but after I had spoken about any type of relationships he had previously had, he just exited the room.

My mom tried to bring him back, but I told her to just leave him go. She understood, and we continued eating. I think she was a little uncomfortable around me, though. I think it's the scar. Always did scare everyone away.

I pushed all of those thoughts away as I continued dragging my feet down the hallway. I sighed in content as I heard the snores of pack members and knew my parents would be asleep. As I neared the end of the hallway, I heard quiet screams in a room a few steps ahead of me.

I quieted down and ran up to the door. I put my ear against the door and listened.

"I really should be getting back," I small voice said that was edged with fear.

"No. You're staying here." I sucked in a sharp breath as I immediately recalled the owner of the voice.

"My friends are gonna wonder-"

"No! You're staying here!" Ashton shouted to Karissa in a hushed voice. I was about to knock down the door and get her out of that situation until she hastily agreed. I could hear the fear in her voice, but at the same time happiness was entwined with her words which bewildered me.

"Thank you," Ash said in a calm voice that was laced with the tiniest bit of annoyance.

I contemplated on just walking in and playing stupid like, 'oh hey, this isn't the bathroom,' but I knew my brother was much smarter than to fall for that. So instead, I decided to just back away slowly and make my way down the hall and cross my fingers that my brother wouldn't do anything to my poor, little Karissa.

Once I got to the end of the hall, I ran down the rest of the way and was caught off guard when I ran into someone, and my body slammed onto the floor.

I groaned as my forehead hit the floor as did the body next to me. I peered up and smiled when I saw the little body of Riley Hayes laying on the floor rubbing his elbow.

"Aye, Lee," I said happily as I rubbed my forehead. He furrowed his little eyebrows and tilted his head slightly.

"You just hurt me. Why's you so happy?" He asked in a somewhat angry way. I pouted my lip and pushed myself up. I extended my arms as did he and I picked him up. I put Riley on my hip and kissed his slightly rug-burned elbow. He giggled and wrapped his arms around my neck.