Chapter 9 - Fun - Eleanor

Before we left Zayn's flat, I sent out a quick text.

"What are you doing?" Zayn asked.

I put my phone in the back pocket of my jeans.

"Nothing." I replied vaguely as I continued walking down the hallway that led to the elevator. When we reached the parking lot, Zayn spoke up.

"What car are we taking?"

I thought for a moment.

"Mine." I answered. I loved Zayn sleek black Mustang, but if we took his car, he was going to insist on driving. And he had to know where we were going to drive anywhere, unless I gave him blind directions, which would be too hard.

"Fine. But I want to drive." Zayn insisted.

"No." I curtly replied.

"But the man always drives." He insisted.

God that boy was going to be the death of me.

"So sexist! I drive better than you! I'm also older by the way, and didn't you just get your license?" I snapped.

"Bu... Ugh. Fine. Can you at least tell me where we're going?" His voice sounded resigned but hopeful.

"Nope."

"So stubborn."

"You know you like it." I said. Wait, what had I just said?

"Maybe I do." Was Zayn flirting with me?

"Whatever." I drew a screeching halt to our conversation as a grabbed the door to my Volkswagen bug and hopped inside.

As Zayn came in the passenger side and I started the ignition, Zayn sighed.

"This is why I hate this car. Its so dang small." I noticed he didn't curse. I wondered if it was still a habit from Louis, who would yell at whomever had sworn. I was curious as to if he had noticed. The flash of despair in his eyes answered my question.

"Don't hate on the car! I love this car!" I protested, backing out of the parking space.

"Yeah, if we get into a wreck, you're paying for my medical bills. This car couldn't withstand a fly hitting it." Zayn smarted.

"Your the one who has the money. And like I said, I'm a good driver. We won't wreck."

"It's not your driving. People are idiots. And their IQ drops when they're on the road." Zayn said almost wisely.

"We wont crash." Was my last protest, and with that we fell silent. Wasn't so much awkward though, a peaceful silence.

"I'm starving." Zayn said after a few minutes.

"God Zayn, you just like Ni-"

He turned his head to look at me in surprise.

That silence was awkward.

__________

"Where are we going?!" Zayn demanded, with a tinge of humor in his voice. He had his hands over his eyes as I instructed, and was trying not to smile.

"It's a surprise!" I shot back.

"Just tell me!"

"No."

"Yes."

"No!"

"Yes!"

"NO!"

"YES!"

"No."

"Fine." Zayn gave up, and ever so dramatically slumped in his seat, hands still over his eyes.

It was silent for a moment.

"No peeking!" I said.

"HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?!?!? Your eyes were ahead of you the entire time."

"Female intuition."

"What does that mean?!"

"It means I'm smarter than you. 'Cause I'm a girl." I said with a playful smile.

"No way. Completely unfair! Men are totally smarter than women."

"I completely disagree."

"Think of the greats, Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Eisenhower, Bruno Mars, Charlie Brown!" Zayn protested.

"Those are American presidents, a singer, and a fictional character. What about Queen Victoria? Queen ELIZABETH?"

"Bu-"

"We're here." I interrupted.

"YA-"

"DONT LOOK!"

"Danget."

I pulled in to the booth that was set up and paid, the man giving us our tickets looking at Zayn strangely. I wasn't sure if it was because of Zayn's hands over is eyes, with an expression that looked like he just ate something nasty, (either that or he looked constipated) or the fact that he was Zayn Malik, the last living member of One Direction.

When I caught the man staring at Zayn, I blocked his view and snapped, "What?!"

The man went back to the cash register looking glum.

Finally, we entered through the gate and I managed to get Zayn out of the car without looking, much to his complaints.

We walked up and I told Zayn to take off his hands.

"WE'RE GOING TO THE ZOO?!" Zayn smiled like an idiot.

Oh Lou, if only you were here now.