Chapter 32

Mackenzie helped Eira to get dressed out of her hospital gown the following morning, taking it slowly because of her wound that was still extremely sore. It wasn't just the external stitches, but it was internal damage too that had to heal as well as having her appendix taken out after it had been punctured. Midwives had already come through to discharge her, giving her pamphlets on what to expect in her first trimester and she'd even been told that Darlene had already signed her on as a patient of hers. Her surgeon and doctor came to discharge her during breakfast too, explaining what she had to do to take care of her wound and making an appointment in a week for her to come back to check on how things were continuing to heal. Their talk the night before had helped, but they both knew they needed therapy for extra support.

They turned their heads when they heard a knock on the door, Eira smiling when she saw Miguel and she kissed him back when he leaned in to kiss her first.

"Everything okay?" He whispered and Eira nodded, pecking his lips.

"You better visit every day," Eira whispered, making Miguel smile.

"I'll be over so often you'll be sick of me." He vowed and Eira smiled, kissing him softly and he kissed her back, the two of them only pulling away from each other when Lloyd cleared his throat, Mackenzie smirking.

"Have you seen all your doctors, sweetheart?" Darlene asked and Eira nodded her head, pointing to where the pamphlets were that she'd been given about her pregnancy and the aftercare of her surgical wound.

"They left me those and the midwife told me you already found space for me," Eira said with a smile and Darlene smiled back.

"I told you I would. I was the one to deliver Cody, it'll be my honor to deliver this baby too." Darlene said proudly and Eira noticed Miguel tense slightly at the mention of his son and Eira reached up, pecking his cheek and he cracked a small smile. It was clear that he was still struggling with the loss of his son, especially with Eira being pregnant and it being a high-risk pregnancy, but he was trying his hardest not to let his past and his anxieties of history repeating itself stop him from enjoying Eira's pregnancy - their miracle baby.

"And I called one of my colleagues when we got home last night and she's able to fit you both in. They'll have to be either early morning appointments so I can take you when I go to the office in the morning, or they'll have to be the last appointments of the day so Darlene can take you, so I'm waiting to hear back about what times she can do - her name is Victoria, I trust her dearly and she even has experience with this kind of thing. She was homeless as a teenager - not for as long as you two were, but she found her feet and look at her now." Lloyd said with an encouraging smile.

"We haven't even finished school," Mackenzie said.

"But that's easily changeable! You can get your GEDs and graduate high school, then you can go off to college and train to be whoever and whatever you wanna be." Darlene assured them and although that was a scary concept for both Eira and Mackenzie to even think about, it was exciting. They'd never had any kind of opportunities before, they knew how lucky they were to have found someone like Miguel who had welcomed them both into his life so openly.

"Oh, and just so you know, my sister and her girlfriend will be coming over because you'll soon learn my sister is even more stubborn than you are and she's desperate to meet the mother of her future niece or nephew. I don't know how Lauren puts up with her, she's so quiet and nice." Miguel said jokingly, chuckling when Darlene swatted him.

"You be nice to your sister! She's been worrying about everything and with the adoption, too." Darlene defended her daughter and Mackenzie's eyebrows creased.

"Adoption?"

"Oh, yes. They're filing for adoption so they can have a family of their own. They've tried IVF a few times already and it hasn't worked for them - it's hard, but they can give a child a good home. They'll be beautiful mothers." Darlene practically cooed, making Eira and Mackenzie share a smile with each other - they were still extremely nervous, but it was clear how welcoming and open the entire Lagman family was.

It was less than an hour later when Lloyd was pulling up in his driveway, all of them getting out of his car to see Donna and Lauren on the porch.

"I know, I know! I left my key to your place at home." Donna called, rolling her eyes but she gave her parents and Miguel a hug, but Lauren and Eira froze when they saw each other.

"It's you..." Eira breathed, tearing up and Lauren couldn't help but smile.

"It's you." She repeated, the two of them instantly locking their arms around each other.

Lauren hadn't stopped thinking about the girl she bought supplies for, and to finally see her again and know it was Eira... it was an emotional reunion.

===

<3