Chapter 31

"If you want to come back with me, Eira, you can... I just think it would be best for you to go back with my parents. My Mom can help you with the pregnancy as you heal, my Dad can be there as emotional support since as he's a therapist and I'll come over every day to visit and you can help me find the right house for us... you need to talk to Mackenzie, baby girl." Miguel said and Eira ran her fingers through her hair, tears continuing to roll down her face.

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Of course you will. I'll be there the second visiting hours are open and my parents will be there too... talk to your sister, okay? I love you."

"I love you too." She breathed, hanging up the phone and handing it back to the nurse. "Am I allowed to go for a walk?" Eira asked the nurse, who hesitated.

"You need rest..."

"I rested all afternoon... please?" Eira begged and the nurse slowly nodded her head.

"Okay, but I want you back in bed and eating in a half-hour at the most." The nurse said and Eira quickly agreed, pushing the blankets off of her and she slowly swung her legs off the sides and she winced slightly as she stood up but she pushed her IV stand out towards the door. She knew where Mackenzie would be, so she headed towards the garden that was in the middle of the hospital - a secluded outdoor space full of flowers and trees with a few small pieces of play equipment for kids and benches around the flowerbeds.

Eira was relieved when she spotted Mackenzie sat on one of the benches in the dimly lit garden, but the teenager didn't react when Eira sat down beside her. "I thought I might find you out here," Eira said softly, wincing as she got herself comfortable and one of her hands subconsciously laid on her flat stomach to protect her unborn baby.

"Congratulations," Mackenzie mumbled and Eira rolled her eyes.

"Enough with the attitude, Mackenzie," Eira warned.

"You're suddenly Mom now? You're not my mother, you have a baby." Mackenzie reminded her coldly and Eira instantly let tears roll silently down her face, she could see that her sister was crying too.

"Yeah, I might as well be your Mom, Mackenzie because who the fuck has looked out for you all these years? Who did everything they could to make sure you were safe and fed, had water? Who did what she did with those fucking guys just to get money?!"

"For your drug habit." Mackenzie finished and Eira let out a quiet sob, covering her face with her hands and Mackenzie slowly looked over at her. "I'm sorry."

"No, you're not," Eira said, sniffling and she stared down into her lap. "You're right that I'm a Mom to my unborn baby, but you know that every day I'm pregnant with this child is a miracle... I almost died, it's a miracle my child didn't die too, so yes, this child is going to be my priority but that doesn't change anything with you. You're my sister! You have no idea how badly I regret even putting us on the streets to begin with - how much I blame myself for everything, how much I wish I just let you go and let CPS separate us so you could have had a better life... Miguel is a good man, he saved both of us and I love him, that doesn't change how I love you or how much I am desperate to see you succeed and make something of yourself. You can sit there and hate me as much as you want because trust me, it's nothing in comparison to how much I hate myself and how terrified I am to leave here and be a Mom, be a girlfriend, be a part of a family again, face my demons in therapy... don't leave the hospital, at least, if you're not gonna come back to the room." Eira said, going to stand up but Mackenzie spoke before she could.

"I am sorry... I-I never thought I'd be jealous of an unborn kid... I just don't want you to forget about me... everything is changing and I can't keep up." Mackenzie said and Eira looked over at her.

"That's why we need therapy... w-we need to learn to be sisters, not two people who are completely dependent on each other." Eira said and Mackenzie let her tears fall faster, slowly nodding her head.

"I-I know... you think we should have separate bedrooms right away? Instead of sharing?" Mackenzie asked and Eira hesitated before slowly nodding her head.

"I think so... I just don't want you mad at me, lashing out at me and storming off." Eira said and Mackenzie sniffled.

"I'm sorry. Do you really hate yourself?" Mackenzie asked, looking over at her and Eira hesitated before nodding her head.

"Yes."

"Well, you shouldn't... I don't hate you either." Mackenzie said and Eira just rested her head against Mackenzie's shoulder and she rested her head on top of Eira's.

"We can do this, you know. Have separate lives, be happy and still be close." Eira said and Mackenzie slowly nodded her head.

"I love you."

"I love you too. Always." Eira breathed, the two of them holding hands, lacing their fingers together.