Chapter 21

"I've had enough of being sad... tell me your favorite memory." Eira said and Miguel chuckled.

"You'll tell me yours right after?" He compromised and she nodded her head and Miguel thought about it for a moment, his head leaning back against the wall as they sat close by to each other. "It's probably the day Cody was born," Miguel admitted. "His Mom, Beth... she'd been in labor for over twenty-six hours and I swear, when I was there holding her hand as she was pushing, I thought I was gonna pass out." Miguel admitted, smiling when that made Eira laugh. He couldn't help but think of what Donna had teased him about just the night before, how he was in love with Eira. He wasn't sure whether that was true, but he knew he had a crush on her.

"You didn't, did you?"

"No, but I was super dizzy when he was born and they held him up and he was just covered in this... gunk and I realized that he was the same baby I'd felt move and kick, watched grow... he was mine and he'd be mine forever... I was a father at that moment and it's a lot to take in. They cleaned him, weighed him and Beth let me hold him before she did and I just... I loved him so much and even though he's been gone for two years, I still love him." Miguel said softly. "He wrapped his whole hand around one of my pointer fingers and that was it - best moment of my life," Miguel said and Eira smiled.

"He had your heart at that moment, huh?"

"Oh, definitely... but I still want a family, even after everything that happened with Cody."

"I want a family too, in an ideal world... always thought I'd have the stereotypical family home with the white picket fence and a big family car, a house full of kids... kinda not looking too good now. I'd settle for a room like this now." Eira said in a playful way, but Miguel knew that deep down she was being serious.

"You owe me a happy memory story." Miguel reminded her, nudging her and Eira smiled.

"Okay... I remember doing the talent show when I was six years old, at school. Mom and Dad both came and they brought Mackenzie with them, she was a year old. I was going to sing a song from some musical, I had the backing track on a CD and everything... but right before my turn, Mackenzie just burst out crying. She wouldn't calm down, Mom was going to take her out of the auditorium to calm her down and Dad was gonna just have to show her my performance when he videoed it... but instead, I just started to sing Mom's lullaby song, no backing track, or anything... and Mackenzie calmed down almost immediately, listening to the song." Eira said, looking over at Miguel and she smiled self-consciously when she saw he was grinning.

"Did you win?" He asked and Eira laughed, shaking her head.

"No. Some kid with a skateboard did tricks and beat me."

"The bastard." Miguel jokingly exclaimed, chuckling when she laughed. Their laughter was cut short when Miguel leaned in, connecting their lips, and Eira stared at him with wide eyes as he pulled away from her.

"What was that?"

"Me kissing you..."

"No... no, no. This isn't gonna work, I'm gonna leave here soon and we'll never see each other again. You can be with anybody you want... you're a doctor." Eira choked out.

"I know I'm a doctor, but I can't help that I... I can see myself falling for you," Miguel said and Eira bit her lip, starting to kiss him back when he leaned in to kiss her again, her arms wrapping around his neck as he laid her back on the bare mattress.

Eira looked over at Miguel as he laid on the bed beside her and he gave her a small smile.

"I certainly didn't expect that today." He breathed and Eira forced a smile. It took everything in her not to cry as she just looked at him.

"Me neither... I'll be right back, okay? I want to see if Mackenzie is back yet, make sure she's home safe." Eira said softly, going to get up but Miguel locked an arm around her waist.

"No! No, stay here with me a while longer." He argued, but she pushed his arm off of her.

"I'll be right back." She repeated, pulling on her clothes and she rushed out of the room and down the stairs before Miguel could protest and she was relieved to see Mackenzie coming into the building carrying an armful of grocery bags.

"Hey! You wanna help-?" Mackenzie said, but Eira cut her off.

"Put that down, we're leaving." Eira choked out and Mackenzie's eyebrows creased.

"Why?"

"Just, please... trust me... we have to go." Eira begged, trying her hardest not to cry and Mackenzie nodded her head, dumping the bags on the counter and Eira was instantly dragging her out of the Elm Tree building and down the street, leaving Miguel behind.