Chapter 7

"We can't drive for three hours for a possible bed and possible acceptance of funds from your charity!" Miguel said in a low voice, not wanting to stress Eira or worry her any more than she already was, but it was clear that it was impossible. Eira was gripping onto Mackenzie as tightly as she could as if believing that if she were to let her go, Mackenzie would slip away.

"All we can do is find a place in a shelter and treat her there." Wendy said and Miguel took a deep breath to try and calm himself down, nodding his head and she was immediately back on the phone, calling various homeless shelters. Eira and Mackenzie needed a private room that could lock, something that was hard to come by in homeless shelters.

"We have to take off her clothes, okay? They're wet, they're making her worse." Miguel told Eira.

"Our blanket is wet, I'm not stripping my sister to expose her to the wind! It's freezing!" Eira argued, protective over her baby sister and she watched as Miguel pulled the two duffel bags Wendy brought with her closer to him and he unzipped one of them, relieved it was the correct bag and that they still had blankets left over after all the people they'd helped already that night.

"We have blankets - thick, dry ones. You have to help me." Miguel urged and Eira saw the piles of blankets and clothes that were in the duffel bag, nodding her head and she helped Miguel to sit Mackenzie up. Miguel held onto her to keep her up, one hand around Mackenzie's waist and the other on the back of her head so it wouldn't fall back, causing her more injury. He knew Mackenzie's hypothermia was setting in and getting worse, she'd stopped shivering. Eira worked to pull off Mackenzie's clothes, tears streaming down her face as she tried to ignore how skinny she was, how obvious her spine was, and the bones in her arms and legs. "She doesn't have shoes?" Miguel noticed as Eira pulled off her pants, grabbing a blanket from the bag to cover Mackenzie up with.

"The last thing she said to me - some fucking teenagers came whilst I was getting us food. They kicked her shoes in the water, they're gone. I can't afford new shoes, so I'll give her mine." Eira said through gritted teeth and Miguel was stunned. He knew that homeless people were vulnerable, but he never expected or even thought that members of the public could be so cruel.

"We'll find her shoes, even if I have to buy some for her myself," Miguel vowed and Eira looked up at him, tears running down her face still.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." He said softly. "Here, you have to hold onto her for me - I'll swaddle her, make sure she isn't exposed." Miguel said and Eira took over holding Mackenzie, letting her little sister lean back against her chest and Miguel had to fight back his own tears when he saw how Eira immediately wrapped her arms around Mackenzie to keep her close, planting a kiss on her temple.

"It's gonna be okay, Mac... it's all gonna be okay. I love you so much, you keep fighting, alright? W-We'll get you warm soon. I'm so sorry." Eira breathed, kissing her again as Miguel swaddled the younger sister up in the large blanket, tucking it in around her so that not one part of her was exposed. He was using a thinner blanket, knowing it would be dangerous to warm her up too quickly - her body could go into shock and that would most likely stop her heart.

"It's not your fault, you know," Miguel said and Eira looked over at him, clinging onto Mackenzie.

"I'm her big sister... it's my job to protect her." Eira said simply. Miguel went to say something, to try and comfort her but he was cut off when Wendy came back over.

"There's a spot at Elm Tree, it's a twenty-minute drive from here." She said breathlessly and Miguel nodded his head, standing up and he wasted no time in leaning down to lift Mackenzie bridal style - it worried him more to feel just how light she was. He could tell she had a naturally skinny frame, but she felt dangerously underweight - a fact which was unsurprising amongst homeless people. He'd ensure they were both looked after and well fed at the shelter, somewhere safe for them to stay as they treated Mackenzie.

"I don't have money for a shelter. They don't let us stay together and Mac refuses to go in without me." Eira choked out, practically running beside Miguel and Wendy to keep up with them as they led the way back to Wendy's car.

"Well, this is going to be different. You and Mackenzie will have your own room, you can lock the door and you'll both have a bed - don't worry about the cost, my charity is paying for all of this." Wendy said, wrapping an arm around Eira as they walked.

Eira was trying her hardest not to break down completely, needing to stay strong for Mackenzie - even though her sister was unconscious and dangerously sick.

===

:)