Chapter 27

The doctor led both Miguel and Mackenzie into the room after knocking gently."I'll come and check on everything in a little while - hit the button on the wall if anything happens or if you need anything." The doctor said, before leaving, shutting the door gently. Mackenzie couldn't help but let out a quiet sob, seeing her big sister laid back on the bed in a hospital gown, a thicker blanket than normal covering her body to keep her warm and Miguel recognized heat pads - it confirmed his suspicion that she truly was starting to develop hypothermia. They couldn't see the wound, it was hidden underneath her hospital gown and under the blankets, but they could see the monitors she was attached to and the IV line of saline but Miguel knew they would have injected either the bag or the line with painkillers that were strong, but still safe for her to have whilst being pregnant. Her eyes slowly opened, focusing on Miguel and Mackenzie and she reached for them with one of her hands. Mackenzie took one of her hands instantly, running her thumb across the back of Eira's hand and Miguel came closer to her too, placing a hand on her leg so that she'd know he was close.

"You're here." Eira breathed.

"Yeah, because I can really be anywhere else right now," Mackenzie said, leaning down and kissing Eira's forehead, seeing that she had oxygen tubes in her nose to help her breathe a little easier. "Miguel's here, honey, you see him?" Mackenzie asked and Eira slowly looked over at him, a tired smile on her lips.

"You... you found me..."

"And you were doing something stupid - why am I not surprised?" He teased, smiling when she laughed but she gasped with pain, getting comfort from Mackenzie and Miguel as she breathed through the moment of sharp pain.

"A-Are you hurt?" Eira managed to get out, looking up at Mackenzie.

"You literally were seconds away from bleeding to death in front of me and you're asking me if I'm okay?" Mackenzie tried hard not to break down completely, but it was getting harder and harder to see her sister, who was usually so strong, struggle to just keep her eyes open. It was even harder to imagine that Eira was pregnant, that her baby was in serious danger because of the trauma and she didn't even know her baby existed. "I love you so much, you know that? I-I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life." Mackenzie said, playing with Eira's fingers but she was gentle with her, terrified she may cause her fragile sister pain if she even so much as moved her finger too much.

"I love you." Eira said, her voice breathless and it was clear that she was fighting sleep. The mixture of the painkillers, the surgery, and even the pregnancy were all making her exhausted.

"Eira, we... we need to tell you something." Miguel said softly and Mackenzie got the hint, taking a step back and Miguel took her place, holding Eira's hand. Mackenzie stood where Miguel was before, trying to keep herself calm - she had no idea how Eira would react to the news that she was expecting a baby.

"What... ha-happened?" Eira asked, her eyes drooping closed but she fought to keep them open every time. Miguel and Mackenzie both noticed Eira's heart monitor spike.

"Nothing! Nothing, everything is okay... Mackenzie and I are safe, you're going to be just fine... but Eira, you're... we're pregnant." Miguel said softly and Eira's eyes widened, her heart monitor showing that it was spiking even more.

"A ba-baby...?"

"Yeah, Eira, we're having a baby," Miguel said calmly, even though he felt anything but calm. He tucked a lock of hair behind her ear, keeping it out of her face.

"I-Is it... is it okay?" Eira choked out, tears lining her eyes and Miguel shushed her, leaning in closer to her as he ran his thumb across the back of her hand, caressing Eira's cheek with his other hand.

"Our baby is safe right now... the doctor said there's no sign that anything bad is happening, they just want to keep you here for a couple of extra days to make sure everything keeps going okay. The more you rest, the more you stay calm... the bigger chance our little one has." Miguel said softly, wiping away her tears as they fell.

"I ha-haven't got anywhere to go... n-no money to pay for this..." Eira said and Miguel leaned down further, his forehead against hers.

"I don't want you to worry about any of that, okay? I'm going to take care of everything - you and Mackenzie are never gonna spend another night on the streets, I promise you that and I'm gonna be right here with you - now and always." Miguel promised, Mackenzie watching as Eira's heart monitor showed that she was calming down.

"You-You'll both be here... wh-when I wake up?" Eira breathed.

"Of course," Miguel vowed.

"I'm not going anywhere without you," Mackenzie promised, both Miguel and Mackenzie watching over Eira as she let herself finally fall asleep.