Chapter 16

Eira ran out into the main area of the room, seeing Mackenzie still laid on the bed but her eyes were wide open and she was in tears.

"EIRA!" Mackenzie screamed, her voice hoarse and desperate and she was yelping in pain as she tried to move.

"Hey, hey, hey! Mac... Mac, I'm right here!" Eira urged, climbing up onto the single bed behind her so that she was spooning her little sister, her back against the wall behind them both and Eira locked her arms around her. She could feel that Mackenzie was shaking, but it was more from fear than cold.

"Where are we?" Mackenzie choked out, yelping and whimpering in pain as she attempted to move but Eira shushed her, kissing Mackenzie's arm.

"It's okay... it's all gonna be okay. We're in a homeless shelter. You have to stay still, honey, you have a cannula in your hand." Eira said, adjusting the blankets and duvets so that Mackenzie was still covered. She didn't feel cold anymore, but she didn't want her sister to get cold again and risk her condition deteriorating.

"E-Eira..." Mackenzie sobbed and Eira moved so that she was knelt on the floor in front of her sister instead, gripping onto her hand with the cannula in it, keeping the blanket covering their arms so that Mackenzie wouldn't get cold - her little sister was still completely naked underneath both duvets and the blanket.

"I know, honey, but you're going to be fine! Everything is going to be fine... a charity found us in the park, you fell unconscious and... and this charity gives the homeless medical treatment. I heard them talking, I didn't know who they were, I just needed to get help for you... the woman, Wendy... she got us this room to have until you're better and she works with a doctor, his name's Miguel and he's been looking after you for the past couple of hours. You need to stay still, honey, you'll hurt yourself more if you pull that cannula out." Eira said, running her free hand through Mackenzie's hair and the younger girl stared at Eira, crying softly.

"A-Am I gonna die like Mom?" Mackenzie choked out and Eira quickly shook her head.

"No! No, you're not gonna die. Miguel diagnosed that you have bad hypothermia because of all the rain... but you've had an IV of sodium or something to warm your blood and I got all your wet clothes from you so we could warm you up properly. You're not gonna die, you understand me? You're gonna be fine! You just have to rest... we can rest here, it's safe." Eira promised and Mackenzie's eyes locked on Eira's.

"Y-You won't rest if I'm sick." Mackenzie accused and Eira cracked a small smile.

"Probably not, but I feel comfortable here... you need to rest, honey."

"So-Someone can come in... th-they'll hurt you like they did la-last time." Mackenzie struggled to speak, her exhaustion making her voice slurred and Eira shook her head.

"The doors lock here, honey, I'll be fine." Eira leaned in, kissing her cheek and she left her lips there for longer than necessary. She often felt like Mackenzie was more like her daughter than a sister and Mackenzie felt the same way, that Eira was like her mother. They'd been together, just the two of them, for so long and had been through so much that it was almost impossible to believe that anything could ever change. They couldn't find work without a home, they couldn't get bank accounts for wages without a home, they couldn't finish school without a home - they needed an address.

"Y-You're sleeping o-over there?" Mackenzie asked, Eira following her gaze to where the bed was and she nodded her head.

"Yeah, I'll be right there."

"It-It's too fa-far away." Mackenzie breathed. The sisters never slept apart They always slept close together to share warmth, to make the other person feels safe and secure.

"I'll stay right here until you fall asleep, alright?" Eira promised and Mackenzie nodded her head slowly, trying to squeeze her hand but she felt too tired and weak.

"I love you." Mackenzie said and Eira ran her thumb carefully across the back of Mackenzie's hand.

"And you already know how much I fucking love you... I thought I lost you tonight. I've never been so scared in all my life." Eira breathed and Mackenzie tried to smile, but she was too tired.

"Y-You ca-can't get rid of me that easily." Mackenzie breathed and Eira smiled.

"Good! Now, get some sleep, okay? I'll be right here when you wake up." Eira vowed, but she could still tell that she was scared.

"Sing to me?" Mackenzie asked and Eira smiled, getting closer to Mackenzie until their foreheads were touching, Eira starting to sing quietly to her little sister - a song that their Mom used to sing to them when they were younger. Eira slowly pulled away from her when the song finished, seeing that Mackenzie had fallen asleep. Her skin was still extremely pale, but it was the biggest relief that she had come around from her unconsciousness - it meant the treatment had worked.

Eira slowly fell asleep, her hand in Mackenzie's as she lay on the worn carpet by the bed.

===

:)