Chapter Twenty

Hera wanted to jump into a starfighter and go blast every Separatist droid she could find until there was nothing left but twisted, charred metal. She felt helpless and enraged and desperate to do something, anything, that would stop the pointless massacre of innocent civilians. All around her, clan members and friends wept quietly or murmured in low, angry tones. Her mother appeared, pulling Val into an embrace and reaching for her, too- but she pulled away. Her anger and agitation had reached a level that could not be soothed by her mother's love.

She felt a hand like a clamp made of durasteel on her shoulder, and she turned to see her father standing there.

"I know that look," he said, studying her face.

"Perhaps you know it so well because you have seen it so often in the mirror," Tislera said.

Cham regarded his wife with a gaze full of affection. A look passed between them- a sort of wordless exchange that Hera had witnessed on many occasions- and had only begun to understand. Her father's eyes returned to her. "Save your anger," he said. "You will need it for the coming battle."

"Please tell me that means you're going to let the Jedi help us take Lessu back, Father," Hera said. He had to know that it was the best option- the only option.

"Yes," Cham said, placing his other hand on Val's shoulder. "We will all fight together to free Ryloth."

Hera sighed with relief. Her father could be incredibly blurrg-headed, and one never knew when he might decide to dig his heels in and refuse to budge. It was a trait she'd acquired from him, one she was well aware of thanks to her brother's fondness for pointing it out. But her stubbornness and tenacity were nearly as important to achieving her piloting dreams as raw skill. She could not have gotten into the Judicial Academy without them. Was it a fault or a virtue? On the frequent occasions when she was frustrated by her father's obstinate behavior, it was hard to know the answer.

Tislera nodded approval. "It is the right thing to do, Cham," she said. "We must do everything we can to stop the killing of innocent Twi'leks."

"I agree," Cham said. "But first, there is the unfortunate matter of dealing with Senator Taa. Come, let me introduce all of you to the Jedi." He offered his arm to Tislera, and she took it.

As a family, they walked toward Master Windu and Caleb. Hera felt her stomach clench with uncharacteristic anxiety, but she raised her chin- she had, after all, faced the Jedi High Council while standing right next to Caleb, mere hours after sharing a bed with him. On the other hand, her family tended to bring out the more emotional and messy side of her personality. A quick glance at Caleb determined that his attention was focused on her father, which was good. It would be easier for her to appear nonchalant about his presence if he was equally as impartial about hers.

"This is my family," Cham said, looking at Master Windu as he gestured to them. "My wife Tislera, Hera you know...and my son, Valin."

"Val," Val corrected, with a saucy grin. Everyone ignored him.

To his family, Cham said, "And this is Master Mace Windu and Padawan Caleb Dume- the Jedi who saved Hera's life."

Hera was surprised- her father knew, of course, about the Allegiant II crash- but he had never mentioned knowing the name of the Jedi involved, and she had not shared that information with any of her family- even Val didn't know his name. She wondered when and how that exchange of information had transpired...and then it occurred to her that Caleb's presence on Ryloth was probably deliberate, likely in an attempt to secure her father's goodwill and cooperation. Were the Jedi behind it, or the Senate...or both? She saw the value in it. It was smart, especially when dealing with someone like her father, but it still made her feel like a pawn in a game where millions of lives were at stake.