Chapter Fifteen

"Lieutenant Syndulla, how are you feeling?"

Hera opened her eyes and saw Ahsoka Tano smiling at her. She smiled back- it was impossible not to- and nodded. "Call me Hera. And better. A lot better."

She was still lying in the med bay on the Jedi cruiser, waiting for the med droids to clear her to leave. She'd never needed to be submerged in bacta before, and she felt fortunate to recall very little of it. On the other hand, it was miraculous stuff- something that, on Ryloth, was reserved for only the direst of emergencies. The amount of bacta needed to fill an entire tank with it was something only hospitals could afford. It was too bad, because her broken ribs seemed to be on the mend, and the skin of her right arm was intact again- fragile and bandaged, but intact. She would have scars, but she didn't mind that.

Ahsoka had her arms folded across her chest, and she tapped her fingers restlessly against her upper arm. "I'm glad," she said, and she meant it. "We were lucky that Artoo was with us."

Hera had by that time been introduced to the blue-and-white R2 unit who had assisted in saving her life and, as with Ahsoka, it was impossible not to like him. He was very different from Chopper. With a pang, she wondered what her demented little droid was doing, and if he missed her as much as she missed him.

"He's a good droid. Master Skywalker is lucky to have him," Hera said.

Ahsoka chuckled. "Technically, Artoo belongs to the former queen of Naboo, but that's just between you and me."

Hera's eyebrows went up. "Master Skywalker has some impressive friends," she said.

"You don't know the half of it. Have you eaten?"

"I did eat a little," Hera said, recalling the "meal" with distaste. "Nothing solid, really, yet."

Ahsoka made a disgusted noise. "Ugh, that nutrient slop is the worst."

"I agree," Hera said. For a few seconds, she was silent, hesitating to ask the one question she really wanted to know the answer to, but eventually, her desire to know overcame everything else. She felt she could trust Ahsoka. She averted her eyes from the Jedi's gaze, asking, "How is Caleb?"

Ahsoka didn't miss a beat. "Oh, he's fine. Still in the bacta. He'll probably be mad as a wet gundark about it, once he's out."

Though deeply relieved by this news, Hera looked up at Ahsoka in surprise. "He was mad?"

"He didn't want to be knocked out, but I had them sedate him anyway. He needed to rest." She paused for a moment, gazing steadily at Hera. "He was...very anxious about you. I don't think I've ever seen him that upset about anything."

Her tone betrayed nothing. If she was suspicious or curious, Hera couldn't tell. "We went through a lot," she said.

Ahsoka nodded. "You did. But you're safe now. For the time being, anyway. Anakin and I are just wrapping up our investigation...the Council wants us to bring the terentatek back to Coruscant with us to be examined, so once we've got it loaded into the cargo bay, we'll be getting underway."

"That's good news," Hera said, but she didn't feel much truth in her own words.

A med droid appeared, followed by Artoo. "Lieutenant Syndulla, you are cleared to leave. R2-D2 will escort you to your cabin. You are expected to rest for the duration of this trip."

Hera nodded at the droid, sitting up.

Ahsoka smiled at her again and turned to leave. "I'll see you later. Get some rest!"

"I will," she replied. "Looks like it's you and me, Artoo."

Artoo emitted a series of happy beeps, and Hera grinned, wishing her own droid was even as fraction as pleasant.