FLASHBACK: Kakashi and Red

I glanced up at the ninja to my right and then to the one on my left. 

       One was tall and lanky with round glasses.  He had flat black hair that lay limply in his face with a nose that reminded me of a potato.  I believe he was a new jounin and his name was Kyo.

     I’d seen the jounin on my right around a few times.  Not like we’d ever talked or anything.  He was always so consumed in whatever book he was reading and didn’t exactly seem like the kind of person open to a conversation, especially with a girl who was only 10 years old.  Even now, as we stood in front of the Hokage, he had the same look that lacked interest in the world around him.  Although it was kind of hard to tell how he felt with his nose down covered with a navy mask and his left eye covered with his ninja headband.  Maybe his posture gave it away?  He had a sleeveless tight-fitted navy shirt on that showed every last muscle on his body and a metal vest over it, he looked ready to go into battle at any minute.  His hands were shoved deep into his pockets and he was slouched.

      Both were considerably taller than me.  Not to mention older, more experienced, cooler, stronger…

      “Red!”

     I shook myself mentally, “Yes sir!”

     The Third let out a loud irritated sigh, “Honestly, how do you plan on completing a mission if you don’t even know what it’s about?”

        “Umm… I guess just going with the flow?” I asked smiling.  The two boys beside me stared at me like I was dumb.  I felt pretty dumb at the moment.

      The Hokage just looked at me.  He took another drag from his pipe before continuing, “I’m afraid that philosophy won’t work in this mission, so I’ll repeat it for your sake Red.  Make sure you pay attention this time,” he said sharply.

      “Yes sir,” I gulped.

       “Last night, the Land Hidden in Iron stole some important documents last night from our medical corps.  Kakashi will be leading you to retrieve these documents.”

      “You want three jounin to do such a simple task?” Kakashi asked beside me.

      “I want the job done quickly.  We need the document back to further our research and possibly cure a chakra-eating disease that is beginning to affect the village,” the Third said calmly staring at us with his old eyes, “We need the document back.”

        “If you want it done quickly then why’d you put us with this little kid?” Kyo sneered in a nasal voice, probably from the oversized nose, “She’ll only slow us down.”

       I had to tilt my head back to see his face.  Oh how I wished I was taller.  “I weigh less than that giant thing you call a nose.  If that doesn’t get in your way, then I doubt I will,” I snapped back while shaking my tiny fists.  I was scrawny, yes, but I was also strong.  Ten years old and a jounin isn’t an easy task to complete.  Not to mention having full power over the Sharingan.

     “Brat,” he muttered quietly.

     “Excuse me?  What was that Four-Eyes?  Care to repeat?” I shouted.

      “Enough!” The Third yelled, “You will be departing immediately.  The sooner you get back, the sooner I can allay my worries of having you three on a team,” he said glaring at Kakashi, Kyo, and me.

~

      Kunai flew in the trees above me hitting one another with a sharp clang.  An ambush.  Twenty or so Metal ninja had surrounded us and they obviously had the upper hand. 

      “Lost little girl?” an eerie voice spoke into my ear.

      I spun around to kick the ninja’s face, a blow that should’ve done serious damage to him but instead made my foot crack and almost break.  I jumped backwards and skidded to a halt on the dirt ground making dust fly around me.  I looked at the enemy in front of me through my sharingan…  A metal clone?  I looked around at the rest of the enemy.  They were all clones.

      “Kakashi!  Kyo!  They are all clones!” I shouted to the two. 

       Kakashi was to my right fighting off three ninja while Kyo was in a tree above me fighting off one, “Bit late there, Pipsqueak!”

       Fire melts metal right?  I could use a fire jutsu and take them out easily.  I smirked, fire was my specialty.  I hadn’t earned the name “the Red Flame” for nothing.

       I jumped in the air and gathered chakra, “Phoenix Flower Jutsu!” I began to spit a volley of small fireballs towards the enemy.  One down.  Two down.

     Chakra.  Someone’s chakra was above me.

     I felt the heel of a heavy foot smash into my back, sending me spiraling to the ground in a daze.  My small body hit the ground hard enough to create a crater and send the surrounding rocks on the ground flying.  I looked up at a woman that was incredibly beautiful.  She was extremely tall with long blonde hair that reached her lower back and perfect unflawed white skin, almost like a porcelain dolls. She gave me a shark toothed smile that took away all her beauty.  She waved a scroll in my face, “Looking for this?”

     My eyelids felt incredibly heavy, and when she lifted my up by the collar of my red shirt I just hung limply.  I felt defeated and weak.

      “We have one of them!” She shouted waving me above her head, “Time to retreat!  We will take what we have!” she lowered me to her eye level and grabbed my face with her free hand, “My, oh my.  We really did win a treasure this time.  Those eyes of yours will sell for quite a pretty penny!”

      That’s when I saw him racing towards me, his palm open with a ball of electricity.  Kakashi.

      “Chidori!” he yelled thrusting his palm to her.   Her eyes went back in pain and she dropped me to the ground.  She immediately crumpled down beside from the intake of the jutsu.  All the remaining clones disappeared from around us.  The other ninja who must’ve been controlling them must’ve fled when they saw they were done for.

      I got to my feet panting.  I took one look at the woman and kicked her hard in the ribs, “Bitch.”  I bent down and grabbed the scroll from her pocket, “Are we going to take her in for int-,” I stopped and looked at Kakashi, his headband no longer covering his eye.  “Where did you get that?”  I asked in a low voice.  Anger raced down me in tremors.  The eye of a Uchiha being used by someone who was clearly not in any way related to my clan.  Kakashi had the sharingan.

      His eyes narrowed at me, “I don’t think that’s any of your concern.”

       “That’s my clans’ eye!  You have no right to have or use it!” I shouted poking my finger accusingly in his chest.

     Kakashi slapped my hand away, “It was a gift,” he said in a menacingly calm voice, “And if it wasn’t for this eye, you would’ve been captured and gone by now.”

       “He’s right,” Kyo said, “Maybe instead of being such a little brat you should thank him.”

       Anger swelled up in me like a balloon, and it was getting ready to pop.  I was the only one who had the sharingan.  It was something I would carry as a Uchiha.  It was my duty, not some outsiders, “You should be thanking my clan for that eye!” I screamed, “It was your dumb jutsu that saved me!  You probably only learned it from the eye you stole from my clan!”

      “You learn it then.”

      “Excuse me?” I said angrily.

      “If I only learned it because of this eye then it should be easy for you to learn since you have two of them and I only have one.  So learn it yourself, then maybe next time I won’t have to save your sorry self,” Kakashi said arrogantly, “Maybe then you can act like an actual jounin and be able to fight for yourself.”