Teamwork

“Quit being ninjas?” Naruto yelled struggling to get free from the ropes that were wrapped around him, “What do you mean? We couldn't get a bell, but why do you have to say we should quit?!  You can’t just do that!”

     Kakashi cast Naruto a cold look.  Same Kakashi, as heartless as ever. “It's because you three don’t think like ninja.  You think like little kids. Brats.”

     Sasuke charged at Kakashi with his fist in the air.

     “Sasuke stop!” I screamed.

     Kakashi immediately grabbed him and put him in an arm lock and sat on him.  He stuck his foot on Sasuke’s head forcing his face into the ground.  Like Sasuke was a bug.  Naruto gasped, “He’s so quick!”

     “See?” He said nodding his head at Sasuke, “You don’t know what it means to be a ninja.  You think it’s a game huh?  You are all just kids.  Do you guys think being a ninja is easy?  Why do you think we're training by breaking up into groups?  Hmm?  Did you ever consider that question for one moment?”

     “What do you mean?” Naruto yelled still struggling against the ropes.

     “I mean, you never realized what this exercise is about.  Not even close.”

    “What it’s about?” I asked.

     “That's right,” Kakashi said firmly, “That’s what determines whether you pass or fail.”

    It hit me.  We were in groups to utilize each other’s strengths as a team.  To work together.  Something all three of us failed to do.

     When no one replied Kakashi put his face in his hand, “Geez, are your brains empty?   Tch.  Use your head. Three people on a squad.  Why do you think we would do that?”

     Naruto was the only one not catching on, “How do you think we’re supposed to know why you picked three people?  We didn’t make the rules!”

     “It’s so basic,” Kakashi said in a low voice, “Teamwork!”

     “You mean, cooperate with each other?” Naruto said dumbly.  He then looked at Sasuke with a glare on his face, “No way!”

     Kakashi sighed, “That's right. But it's too late even if you notice now. If all three of you came at me at once, maybe you could have gotten a bell.  Well anyways, it’s over.”

      I looked at the two bells hanging from his side and then it hit me, “Wait... Why do we need to use teamwork when there's only two bells? If three people work hard to get it, one person will have to bite the bullet. A group conflict will occur instead of teamwork.” What kind of test was this?  Two pass and one gets sent to the academy?  It was in no way fair.

     “Of course,” Kakashi said like it had been the most obvious thing in the world, “This test tries to put you three against each other.”

     “Well what’s the point in that?” Naruto yelled at Kakashi while kicking the post.

     “I wanted to see if you could overcome that and put the squad ahead of yourselves.  A genin should have a natural feel for teamwork.  But that never even crossed your minds,” Kakashi stared sternly at Naruto and me, still holding on to Sasuke in the same position.  I could see Sasuke shaking and sweat coming from his forehead.  He stared back at Naruto with a more intense look, “Naruto!  You do everything on your own.  Everything,” he then glared in my direction, “Red!  You let past emotions cloud your judgment and sat around watching rather than actually helping these two.   And you,” he stared at Sasuke who was still firmly in his grasp, “You assumed that those two were so far beneath you they were worthless.  That they were only going to burden you.  So you did everything yourself.  Arrogance,” he spat the word, “Ninja missions are done in squads.  It's true that ninjas need well-developed individual abilities and skills, but it's teamwork is the most essential element.  Every shinobi understands this.  When an individual puts himself before the team, an individual action that disrupts the teamwork will result in failure or even death for the teammates.  For example,” he reached into his weapons bag and pulled out a dagger, and pointed it close to Sasuke's neck, “Red! Kill Naruto, or Sasuke's going to die!”