First day, first impressions

“Daddy!  Daddy!  Can we please go?”

     “To where?”

     “The Land of Rice Patties!  They are having a big festival this year and I want to see it!”

     “That’s too far away, maybe next year.”

     “It can be my graduation present!”

     “Maybe next year.”

     “Daddy please!”

     “Damnit Red, I said no!”

     SLAP

     I jumped out of bed sweat pouring down my forehead.  It was just a dream.  I hugged my knees to my chest. I could keep telling myself it was just a dream but I knew it had once been reality.

     I looked out the window, the sun was starting to rise, I might as well get up and ready for my first day at the ninja academy.  I had to laugh, my actual first day had been eight years ago when I was only five.  I was top of the class, perfect test scores and amazing skill with weapons and jutsu.  A year later I graduated.

      I looked in the mirror. Yup, I had definitely grown up from the scrawny, wide-eyed kid I used to be.  My hair was long and the color of rich caramel. I pulled it into a low ponytail having my side-swept  bangs hang loosely to the right of my face. I pulled on a red sleeveless shirt that had a little cut in the front of it.  If I had giant boobs I would’ve filled it out great but I was lacking in that department by a long shot. I pulled on some short black shorts and put on my shoes and did a final look-over.  I felt so much older than I looked.  My eyes lingered on my headband, the headband that symbolized that I was a ninja from the Hidden Leaf.  I looked down at my wrist where the bracelet my grandfather made me stayed.  It was an old rusty Uchiha crest tied together by a leather band.  I rarely ever took it off, but it could be suspicious.  I untied my treasure and put it in the drawer of the vanity in front of me.

     The Hokage had been kind enough to lend me an apartment to stay in, completely furnished and everything.  It was extremely nice compared to what I was used to.

    I walked out the door and on to the village’s streets.  Young children ran around playing games while parents and other adults sat back chatting with one another.  Despite how early it was, the Leaf was wide awake.

     The Leaf was a peaceful village, on the outside that is.  Once you work for the inside though, nothing is peaceful. In fact, the idea of peace was completely foreign.  The whole ninja world was a ball of lies and conspiracies, plotted against enemies and friends.

     A few more observant people eyed me suspiciously, pointing fingers and whispering.  They had all the reason to be suspicious, in a close place like Konoha, everyone knew everyone.  No one knew me, and I was completely fine with that.

    Somewhere along the way I must’ve taken a wrong turn because I ended up in a near deserted road.

     “Hey, you, girl!” A rough voice called from behind me.  I turned to see who it was only to have the unwelcome sight of a large, burly man pointing his ugly finger at me.  A small group of scrawy men brought up the rear. A gang maybe?

    “I assume you’re talking to me?” I asked.  I suppose he wanted me to be scared, but I was calm as ever.

     He spat into the ground, “Damn straight I am, you ain’t from round here are you?”

     Dumb questions, deserved smart aleck answers.  I pointed at my headband with the Land of Fire’s symbol printed on it, “Me? Noooo.  I am from the Land of Rain sent to infiltrate the Hidden Leaf.  Shhh. Don’t say anything though.”