Chapter II

Yui followed the examiner easily, ‘seems like all of those hours spent chasing Maha-sensei is finally paying off’ she thought, ‘this is easy’.

“Hey! Wait up, kid” a male voice yelled not far behind Yui.

“Hmm?” Killua answered in a monotone voice. He was sliding along on his skateboard.

The male boiled with anger and screamed, “You should show the Hunter Exam some respect!!”

“What do you mean,” Killua furrowed his brows and Yui smiled. He was a sweet kid, but she was never allowed an inch near him. Illumi and Kikyo were always watching him like hawks. He wasn’t allowed to have any friends or anything else that even in the slightest way resembled normality.

“Why are you using a skateboard!? That’s cheating,” the man was outraged but Yui decided to block it out and keep up.

She followed the examiner easily when she was pulled out her thoughts.

“… you’re not a shallow person, Leorio,” it was that boy from before. Kurapika. Yui slowed down so she could listen to their conversation. She felt only a little guilty.

“I’ve seen many who live for money. You’re nothing like them” Kurapika stated plainly.

“Kuso! You and your logic…” the other, Leorio, cursed. He kept running.

Suddenly she felt a surge of determination coming from Kurapika, “Scarlet eyes.”

Yui stopped in her tracks for just second. ‘Scarlet eyes!’

“That’s why the Kurta were targeted. We Kurta are known for our unique scarlet eyes.”

Kurapika is a Kurta… but he’s not blind?

“That’s why the Phantom Troupe attacked you,” Leorio exclaimed.

‘The Phantom Troup?’ Yui’s thoughts were in disarray.

“They took every single eye from my brethren’s corpses,” he glanced towards Yui but shook his head when a ridiculous idea popped into it, “I can still hear their darkened eyes crying out in anguish…” unconsciously Yui touched her bandages. It didn’t go unnoticed by Kurapika who furrowed his brows in thought before continuing with renewed strength in his voice, “I swear I will capture the Phantom Troupe! And I will reclaim the eyes of my clan!”

Yui realized she was crying and quickly covered her face before getting as far away from Kurapika as possible.

~ time skip ~

After running for more than five hours, they reached an opening. Yui turned her head towards the sky feeling the wind caress her face while the examiner talked about the wetlands and the danger that lurked out there.

“If you let them fool you… you’re dead,” the examiner warned.

A lot the examinees began to sweat with fear and anxiety, ‘tch, weaklings,” Yui thought.

“Stay very close to me so you won’t be deceived,” he ended dramatically.

“D-Don’t fall for it…” a man appeared from behind a corner, ‘interesting’, “he’s lying to you! He’s an imposter!”

Yui smiled when several people began mumbling in confusion. Suddenly Hisoka shot three cards at each of the examiners. One of them caught them easily and the other fell dead to the ground.

“Hahah. I see, I see… That settles it… You’re the real one” Hisoka smiled seductively touching his hair, “Examiners are Hunters selected by the committee to perform this duty without pay. Any Hunter, bearing the title we seek, would have been able to block that attack.”