Chapter Four: Help Me (Picture of Alayna Ronald)

Author's Note: Hope you enjoy it! 

~~~

Chapter Four: Help Me 

I raced to the stairs even though it wouldn’t help much. I could hear my friends close behind me screaming and crying and clawing at anything to get away from the raging dead students. I tripped over the stairs hearing roaring and growling of the zombies coming at us. I cried out when I reached the second floor. I ran towards the classroom, gasping for air and nearly tripping over my own feet. I urged my aching feet to keep running. I only saw Mr. Forman’s door. The door I used to stand outside of waiting for class to start. Hanging out with my classmates, my friends. It was all normal then. I never knew one day I would be running for my life to reach that door. That innocent door. I reached the door to find it locked. I banged on the door screaming at the top of my lungs. I heard rattling on the other side of the door, movement, words that didn’t form into my head. All words. 

It was too late. All too late. Flashes of the last three days appeared in my head. The announcement, the first attack, the first night, waking up to my friends at the door, finding food, finding out about the zombie’s secret, finding the boys, the death of Aaron, the night we never stopped sweating and crying, the morning of despair, the revealing of the destroyed room, searching, going through the halls of zombies, finding Mandy and Alayna, and now. The end, I thought. I will never have my first kiss. I will never go to college. I will never see my family again. My family. That’s when I was thrown onto the floor. When the teeth tore into my flesh. Their horrible bite. It hurt worse than being sawed open. I was slowly suffocated from their odor and dying of their bite. I closed my eyes. This was the end. 

I heard gun shots. Loud, sharp gun shots. My ears were bleeding. I could feel the blood drip off off my ear lobe. I refused to open my eyes even though the biting stopped and air returned to my nose. I took in a sweet breath and breathe it out slowly. Taking in every second because it could be my last. Favoring every breath because it could be my last. Counting every beat of my heart because I want to know how many times my heart would beat before it finally failed. 

I got up to twenty four when I was lifted up. Eyes still closed. I was being carried bridal style. My head drooped over where my hair hung and swished with every step my holder took. I took small breaths now. 

I was put down onto something cold and flat. I felt my finger tips on it. Wood. A desk? I finally did what I most regretted. I opened my eyes. A face I did not recognize looked back at me. He looked slightly older than me. Maybe sixteen or seventeen. 

“I’m sorry.” he said, holding a gun up to my head. I looked in the barrel of the gun. I didn’t move. I didn’t breathe. I blinked, than waited for blast. He cocked the gun making a sharp noise that burned in my memory. 

“No!” That burned into my memory too. It was voice I recognized, but right now, my brain only produced one thought: This was the end. The person the voice belonged too slammed into the boy with the gun flinging him onto the ground. A gun shot. It hit the wall. I could hear the splintering sound of the wall it made when the bullet shoved its way through. 

“What are you doing?! She is going to turn into one of them!” the boy with the gun cried as he got back up from his impact. 

“So?! We are keeping her until she changes. It is murder if you kill her now!” Sarah. That’s her name. I barely remember her now. Brown hair. Tall. Freckles. That’s all that came up when the name came into my head. 

“Fine! But keep her chained up just in case.” he said standing up. I could only see the lights that seemed loud and threatening. 

“Who are you anyways?” Another voice. Destiny. Tall. Funny. Books.