Chapter Three: Failed Rescue (Picture of Mandy Corner)

Author's Note: This is very easy book to write, so I'm going to be spitting these out like sunflower seeds (: So enjoy it, it's just candy really..

~~~

Chapter Three: Failed Rescue 

It must’ve been an hour that passed. Although it was probably a few minutes it felt like frozen time. I was in the middle of reality and my own world. I was struggling to escape from my own thoughts when Jonas declared: “His body isn’t there! He must’ve survived the fall and ran off.” This only hurt more. I glanced over to see Destiny standing there staring at the ring in her hand. Aaron had thrown it to her before he jumped off of the ledge. No tears were in her eyes, but she was shaking violently. Sarah was leaning against the wall running her hands through her hair over and over again, her face drenched in tears. Chris was pale and looked nauseated. Jonah seemed in distress too, while his brother seemed unphased. 

I wished with all of my heart that he was the one that had been bitten. I wished so hard it hurt my chest and head. Oh, my head! My headache was burning through my temples and shocks of pain ran through my face. I cried out a little in my pain and stood up. The throbbing fell down from my head to my toes. My feet were tingling with invisible needles. I felt the numbness in my knees and each step I took was sloppy. 

An un-human growl erupted from the staircase at the end of hallway. 

“Lock the doors!” I shouted. The twins ran down to lock the door at the end of the hallway that lead to a staircase leading to downstairs, before a wave of zombies crashed into the glass doors. They banged and thrashed on the doors. I shrieked and stepped back when one of the doors cracked. I turned to run to the factually room, but there was a mob of them running and screaming towards us. 

We were trapped between the rampage of zombies that are blocking out the factually room and the zombies that were about a minute away from breaking through the glass doors. 

“FOREMAN!” Jonah yelled, leading us away from the surprisingly fast zombies to the hallway that led to the classroom. I grabbed my raggedy sleeve and held it up to my mouth and nose just in case the illness was airborne.  

Chris lunged to open the door, but when he tried to swing the door open, he failed. The echoing of breaking glass and growls filled the small hallway. Chris searched his pockets for the keys. 

“Hurry!” Sarah cried, shaking and wiping sweat off of her brow. I felt tingling on my back and a zombie fell hard onto the ground at the entrance of the hallway. We all turned to look. Once upon a time, this zombie was a student. Now, he wants to eat face and bone marrow. The zombie turned to face us and then something peculiar happened. He smiled and not that sweet, caring type of smile, the type where you get chills down your back because you know they are going to kill you. The murderous smile.

My blood was chilled and my heartbeat skidded to an uneven beat. Frozen time. It was frozen time. Me. I was frozen in time. Everything else was still going on, but the numbing time is just happening me. I’m the one who is frozen while everyone else is in the present. I heard a click in the back of my head. I didn’t know what it was and I didn’t really care. All I saw was that raging cannibal running towards me. He clawed at the air that was between us. His eyes were black. No pupil. Mouth filled with rotted teeth and grime. He was so close now I could I smell him. His odor blocked out the oxygen. Nothing came into my nose except that smell. Rotting flesh and a weird mix of latex and ammonia. I think this may be one of their defenses. Too close and you suffocate. I whipped my head back, trying to taste air. Hands were on my shoulders and arms and neck and waist. Those hands grabbed me and pulled me and tore at me. I screamed and twisted and tried to get out of their arms, but the next thing I know is I am in Mr. Foreman’s former classroom. Slam! A door goes, but its too far to be concern. Those arms are still on me, pulling me. I’m on the ground, thrashing.