Chapter Twenty-Four: People of Valor

                Zoe’s POV:

                I didn’t know how long I have been here and I was beginning to lose my patience. They couldn’t just lock us up in this cell forever. I was in the middle of eating my morning meal when I began to notice the thin outline of writings on the wall.

                “What is this, Oval?” I asked, reaching up to touch the scratching.

                “I don’t know. Looks like words, but it looks like someone was trying to cover over it.” Oval said with a mouth full of food. I examined it, but just like Oval said, it was too covered over to make out the letters.

                “You can read one word on there, though. Over on the right it says fake.” He said, standing up to show me. I followed him to see it. In spidery, long handwriting was the word in capital letters.

                “Hmm…” I said, running my fingers over the word, “I wonder who did this.”

                “Some nut job, I suppose.” Oval said, returning to his tray of food. I had pondered the idea to confess to Oval about what I knew about Dr. Xeon, but I decided against it. I didn’t know if there were cameras or how Oval would take the information.

                “What’s your real name?” I asked out of the blue.

                “Matthew Hobbs, I was given that nickname from my dad. Just stuck, you know?” He said easily. I had remembered him mentioning the death of his father.

                “Do you miss him?” I asked before I could stop myself. He paused and then I could notice him shiver.

                “I watched his plane go down. It plays in my mind over and over again. You’d think I wouldn’t fly anymore after that, but when I’m in the air, I loose myself. It’s my heroin.” He whispered to me. I wondered about how many people he has told this to.

                “I wish I could find something to take me away from my nightmares.” I meant to say that my head, but it just came out like I was taking a breath.

                “It doesn’t have to be a something; it could be a someone as well.” He said, looking at me. I thought about Ryder instantly and tears started to sting my eyes.

                “I doubt I’ll even see him ever again.” I whimpered, hiding my face with my hands. I felt his arms wrap around me.

                “You will, don’t worry.” He said softly and I felt an odd comfort, like an older brother reassuring his little sister that their parents won’t fight for much longer. I felt a lingering pang of nostalgia settle in my stomach and I knew it would be a long time before it would go away.

                Sarah’s POV:

                Back at the compartment, Edwin was passed out on the couch and Alayna was sipping a cup of blank coffee in the kitchen.

                “What did we miss?” Aaron asked, smirking at his girlfriend. She smiled back and they exchanged kisses.

                “Nothing much, Edwin started crying about some chick and he cried himself to sleep. What did y’all find?” she asked, noticing the stack of papers Chris was carrying.

                “Oh nothing much, just the secrets to the universe.” Chris smiled, laying the papers on the table. Alayna swooped over and started looking through the papers while Destiny and Ethan were clueing her in on some things.