Chapter Fourteen: A Day of Surprises (Picture of Oval)

Author's Note: Finally! I love this story, but it's so hard to write recently...Well, I hope you enjoy! :D

~~~

Chapter Fourteen: A Day Of Surprises  

           It was a nightmare that woke me up at 2:00 in the morning. A nightmare of watching Ryan being torn apart, a nightmare of spending out first night after the breakout, a nightmare of the moment I found out about Dr. Xeon, a nightmare of Ryder’s true identity and frightening murder, a nightmare of never living at the safe house. A nightmare of never planting that garden or marrying Ryder, even though there was no point. I still felt that rise in my chest when I thought about the safe house and spending the rest of my life there with my best friends and potential husband.

                I woke up crying and panicking. I couldn’t live here knowing all too well that Dr. Xeon had murdered more than half of the nation. I continued to sob for the rest of the morning until I forced myself up and walk around the sleeping apartment. I lounged on the couch petting Heidi until she was snoring softly. Was I the only one that couldn’t sleep? I sighed and decided to go out for a walk when I see Jonas walking out of the boys’ room.

                “Hi.” I say. I knew all too well how mad Jonas was yesterday. 

                “Hey.” He answers, but gives me a strange look, “Nightmares?”

                “How’d you know?” I asked, giving him a wry smile.

                “I could hear you crying from the other room.” He says shyly and I blush wildly. I hated when someone heard or saw me cry. It was a total embarrassment! He laughed nervously.

                “Do you want to go take a walk, I can’t stand to be in this room any longer!” I cry finally, not willing to let the awkwardness consume me.

                “Sure.” he said and followed me through the front door and into the lengthy hallway that held small passageways and locked doors along with many ladders leading up to trapdoors.

                I could feel him next to me. My mind whirred and I was thinking too much about the safe house or what I am starting to call it: the safe grounds. I missed it so much; my heart would squeeze at the thought.

                "I miss it too, you know." Jonas said unexpectedly. I jumped a little, freaked out by his totally random, but accurate statement.

                "Huh?" Was all I could stutter. He looks down at his feet and he stops me.

                "I heard you crying and whimpering something about the safe house. About how much you wished you could be there again. Growing old...with Ryder." He blushes slightly. What a creeper?! Then my face grew to a burning red and I looked down at my own shoes.

                "I'm sorry if I woke you up with my crying." I finally said. He shook his head fiercely.

                "I hadn't slept that night. But I do miss the safe house. It was like a home to me. This place can't come close to home or the safe house. It's so..." He dragged, not finding the right word.

                "Wrong." I finished for him. He grunted quietly.

                "Exactly. Wrong." He said, repeating my words as if he were testing them. I look up at him through misty eyes. When had I started crying?

                "I want to go back. More than anything in this world. I hate it hear. They murdered our families and nearly got Heidi! I don't like it here, Jonas. I don't like it at all." I whispered to him, glancing at the camera hooked up to the ceiling. I squinted at the red light and saw my own reflection in the shiny black metal.