Chapter Twenty-Two: Revisions

            Alayna’s POV:

            “Don’t just stand there, you idiots! Hide!” I snarled at the pack of retards that were frozen with fear. They were frightened of a man who nearly weighed a hundred pounds and five of those pounds were his eye glasses. They were such dopes.

            They scrambled to hide and I tidied up my curly hair before going to answer the door.

            “Edwin!” I say when I open the door, but what I see is Jonas accompanied with a taller boy, “Jonas?”

            “I’m back.” He smiles and I crash myself into him.

            “Jonas is back, guys! Jonas! Oh my god!” I panic, kissing him all over his face, “Where the devil have you been?!”

            “Jail,” He smiles, and then he is ambushed by the pack of loons.

            “Who’s this?” Sarah asked, talking about the other boy who was now inspecting our apartment. He was opening doors and placing his ear to the wall while his fingers danced over objects.

            “That’s Ethan. He’s kind of mental, but he’s brilliant. Hey, Ethan!” Jonas calls and the shirtless boy twirls around.

            “Yes, Joansie?” He asked, scratching his scalp. His long brown hair was tied into a ponytail that was longer than any of our hair. Except for Mandy. Stop thinking, ‘Layna.

            “These are my friends. Jonah—my twin, Chris, Aaron, Alayna, Destiny, and Sarah.” Jonas introduced us. Ethan smiled and waved slightly.

            “I’m Ethan, Joansie has told me a lot about you guys,” Ethan said, returning to his inspection.

            “Hey, where is Mandy?” Jonas asked, looking around.

            “Mate—“ Aaron started, but I cut him off.

            “She found her father. He took her, I don’t know where. But she said she was happier.” I smiled, tears swelling in my eyes. I don’t know why I was lying. I guess I couldn’t take any more heartbreak.

            “Is she still on the base?” Jonas asked, his eyes worried.

            “I don’t think so. I think they went on another base controlled by Xeon.” Sarah helped out, tears swelling in her own eyes.

            “Enough about Mandy. Where the hell is Zoe and Ryder?” I asked.

            “That’s a long story.”

            Zoe’s POV:

            After they realized they couldn’t extract the cure from me, they dumped me into some cell. Guess who my cellmate was—Oval.

            “What are you doing here?” Were the first words he said when they dropped me off here. I was weak and had bed sores all over my back.

            “I was useless so they put me here.” I said, pouring water over my back.

            “You too?”

            “They thought you were the cure as well?” I asked, stopping the water.

            “Yeah, my father was immune and after he died in a plane crash, they thought it may have been hereditary. It wasn’t. Now they ruined my pilot career.” He sighed.

            “They suck.” I moan. And we both laugh.

            The room was seemingly without doors. Only for a small outline of a slot where trays of food come in through. A nurse comes in every so hours through a slide that I can never find no matter how hard I try. It was a perfect system.

            “So, how you reckon we escape?” I asked.

            “Pretend we’re dead?” He suggested. I laughed. I couldn’t understand why we had hated each other so much before.

            I lay down on my cot, much to my back’s dismay and try to relax myself. It was hard to do. I had no idea what happened to Jonas or Ryder. I was in the dark of everything. I hated not knowing. I looked over at Oval who was finishing his meal. The clock on the wall read eleven pm. They had us on a wacky meal schedule.

            I wished the nurse would come in already to give me my pills. I was ready to sleep and be numb. I rubbed the sore spot on my shoulder and tried to sleep, but it was useless. The bed was too uncomfortable and there was too much on my mind. I turned to my side, facing towards the wall.

            Why would they put two teens from the different sex in the same cell, it must all mean something. I felt dried out though, and my brain was burning from thinking. I wished the nurse would come already!

Destiny’s POV:

            Edwin came about twenty minutes after Jonas and Ethan came and we had to rapidly explain to them about the plan. Ethan was a little too excited to break into the office—it sort of frightened me. I could hear Alayna talk to him about the infection and how it broke her down and built her back up. Then there was the sound of tears and then the blessed sound of keys jangling. Aaron broke through the door silently and snagged the keys from Alayna who was hugging Edwin keeping his head in her chest. I nearly laughed out loud but held it down after we had successfully snuck out.

            “That was creepily easy.” Chris said.

            “Let’s just be happy Alayna has a great bosom.” Jonas guffawed and Aaron turned into stone.

            “Oh Aaron I was only joking!” Jonas laughed and we all joined in. We slapped Aaron’s shoulder and started down the hallway towards Edwin’s office.

            “How long do you think we have?” Ethan asked as he jimmied the keys into the lock and opened the doors, “Open sesame.”

            “Maybe an hour?” I said, entering the shabby office. It was cluttered and overly organized. A picture of Edwin and a woman who looked a lot like him sat on his desk and I couldn’t help myself but to pick it up and to examine it.

            “Do you think this is  his sister?” I asked showing the others the picture.

            “Yeah, what of it?” Chris said, returning to his paper stack he was digging through.

            “She’s dead, probably. I forget we’re not the only ones that lost our family.” I said in a daze. I tried to blot out the thoughts of before the infection. It was in the past and I had more than enough of  a family now.

            “You okay, Des?” Chris asked.

            “Yeah. Super.” I said, setting the picture down.

            “What are we even looking for again?” Ethan asked, turning to look at us.

            “Stuff to prove that Xeon started this whole apocalypse and some hints at where Ryder and Zoe are.” Aaron said, shifting through manila folders.

            “Right.” Ethan said, returning to the computer, “Would a file called: TOP SECRET, help?”

            We practically threw him out of the chair.