Chapter Twenty-eight

From this moment on no more being mad at Sage. He’s my baby and I love him dearly :)

            To say that I was furious would be an understatement. Just looking at him makes me want to smash someone’s face into the concrete. He’s all bruised up and it makes me furious. No matter how mad I am at him or the fact that we’re not together, no one puts their hands on him.

            “Will, it’s not that bad,” he mumbled calmly. That statement had me halting mid-step in my pacing.

            “Not that bad?!” I yelled. “Look at you, Sage.” He sighed as if I was being ridiculous or something. “I’m going to kill him. I’m going to kill him!” I mumbled to myself over and over. I heard Sage sigh again.

            “You can’t kill him, William”

            “Why not?” I barked.

            “Because he has been arrested for attempted murder, assault, and a whole bunch of other shit”

            “He-he tried to kill you?”

            “No,” he said then his gaze turned ice cold. “He tried to kill you.” Shit. I groaned and sat on the bed. “You lied to me. You begged me to trust you and you lied. To. Me. You hid things from me, you treated me like a helpless, naïve child when you knew everything all along. All I ever do is worry about you and you knew it wasn’t a robbery all this time and you kept it from me!”

            “Sage—”

            “You knew Elliot was up to something and you didn’t say anything! I worked with him! I had to be civil with him and tolerate his backhanded comments when he was the one who—”

            “Who you kissed!” I cut in.

            “Why the fuck do you think I had to kiss him? Do you think I wanted to? If you had been honest with me from the beginning instead of treating me like I’m helpless it would have never happened!”

            “Why did it happen then?” I yelled back.

            “Because I love you, that’s why, you fucking moron!” Is he insulting me? “I would go through hell and back for you if it meant you were safe. You’re not the only one who wants to protect the person they care the most for.” He paused and tears started to roll down his cheeks. Not wanting to see him like that, I looked at the carpeted floor. “Did you ever stopped to think what would become of me if something happened to you while you’re out there trying to “protect” me?” I couldn’t answer him because I never thought about it because I never thought anything would happen. “And I don’t know why you were protecting me when he was after you—he wanted you out of the way—”  

            “Then it all comes back to you doesn’t it? Because he wanted you so of course I was going to protect you from him. He’s abusive and controlling and I wouldn’t want you to be with someone like that…I wouldn’t want you to be with anyone else period if it wasn’t me,” I whispered the last part. He exhaled heavily, followed by a loud groan then he sat on the bed next to me, his elbows on his knees and his face in his palms. I really wanted to touch him, not in a sexual way but just to feel him again. It was overwhelming having him this close to me again and now I know not everything was as it seemed. The only way we’re going to get pass this is if he tell me what really happened so that I can let it all go. “What really happened? And I mean starting from that day when I walked in on you two...”