Chapter Thirty: Epilogue

There was someone lying on my arm, cuddled up in my chest, but the body was way too small to be Will’s. I peered my lid open to be met with long black hair, Savannah, I thought. I looked over to see Peyton curled up on Will’s chest and Wilson in his arms, mirroring Savannah’s position.

If I hadn’t known it, this would remind me that it is another anniversary for Will and I, our fifteenth to be specific. Ever since our kids understood what “anniversary” meant and why it meant something to us, they crawled into our bed sometime in the middle of the night and sleep with us. The first time they didn’t crawl into our bed, Will woke up to find Savannah and Wilson on the floor with gifts all over the place. My mind told me that one of their grandfathers, if not both, had something to do with it. He put them into our bed and we went to sleep. Now that they’re older—eleven and thirteen, they still do it and as soon as Peyton turned three they started bringing her along and now she was five.

It was a surprise to wake up with Will in our bed, seeing as I didn’t go to sleep with him there. He had gone on a business trip and he wasn’t supposed to be back until later today. It made me upset when he told me he was leaving and I thought this would be the first time in fifteen years on our anniversary I would wake up without him but I was wrong. I’m glad I was wrong. The kids were sad enough about it. That affected him greatly and I knew in my heart he did whatever he had to do to be with us. It was like a tradition for us. Our anniversary wasn’t just about him and I, but our kids too and that meant so much to both of us.

            I smiled as I looked at my family, my beautiful children and my wonderful husband. My chest tightened with happiness. I am lucky to be blessed with this gift around me. Will opened his eyes, I watch him smile as his eyes took at our kids curled up in our bodies. His eyes met mine and his smile seemed to be bigger and brighter. “Happy anniversary, Kiddo,” He mouthed to me.

            “Happy anniversary,” I mouthed back.

            “I missed you.”

            “I missed you too.”

            “I love you.”

            “I love you too.”

            We lied there, staring at each other, just smiling enjoying this time and waiting for our kids to wake up. I wonder what they had planned today. Peyton was the first to wake up. “Daddy!” She shouted, bringing Will’s attention to her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tight. Her outburst woke the others and they sat up one by one.

            “You’re here!” Savannah and Wilson said at the same time. Savannah removed herself from my arms, crawling over Wilson, pushing him out of the way. Wilson groaned and rolled out of the way, resting his head on my chest as Savannah squished her dad. I heard him grunt as she pounced on him.

            “I didn’t think you were going to be here!” From the sound of her voice I knew she was choking up.

            “I’m here,” my husband said, chuckling. “Where’s my boy?”

            “Here dad,” Wilson said, his voice oozing with sleep. “Happy anniversary to you both—or should I say congratulations?” We laughed as climbed over the others to hug his dad.

            “I missed you guys so much!”

            “Missed you too dad!”

            “No more hugging!” Savannah screamed jumping up. Peyton giggled, climbing over the others to come to me. She crawled into my arms and hid her face in my neck. “You two, get in the shower! Don’t come downstairs until one of us say so”