Chapter Two

Picture is of Sage ---->

                  Sage cooked and we ate in comfortable silence. Where I could easily solve being hungry with take out or pizza, Sage would rather spend two hours in the kitchen cooking something. I looked at him only to notice that he was in deep thought. He looked troubled. That's the look he has been wearing ever since he took a phone call earlier. 

                  Sage looked up. He smiled when he noticed that I was looking at him. I couldn’t even force one back at him, not when there could be something wrong. He didn’t even seem to mind or notice that I didn’t smile back at him because he went back to eating.

                  “Are you staying the night?” I asked. Sage looked at me, smiled and then nodded. “Do you even know when you’re not acting like yourself?”

                  He dropped his fork and stared at me with a confused face, “What do you mean?”

                  “I just asked you if you’re staying the night and you said yes,” I explained. “You never spent the night and I've asked you if you wanted to you and you always said no”

                  Now he looked even more confused. “I didn’t.”

                  “You nodded your head and that’s the universal sign for yes or agreement”

                  “But I didn’t,” he insisted.

                  “What’s wrong? You’ve been quiet and you seem to be somewhere in no man’s land.” The way his shoulder slumped and his facial expression changed to a slight frown, something deep in my gut told me that I knew what it was. I knew this day would come but I never thought I would be feeling this way. “Who is he?” I asked, my voice sounded like a whisper. Sage didn’t say anything so I asked the one question I hoped he wouldn't nod to. “Is he someone I know?” I don’t want anyone I know having any kind of relationship with him, touching him or kissing him. I don’t want anyone touching or kissing him period. I don’t want anyone but me to make him feel good, but I won’t tell him that because that wasn't what we agreed on.

                  “You don’t know him,” he said slowly.

                  “How long have you known him?”

                  “A long time, he’s a coworker.” Sage wasn’t making eye contact with me and it just made this so much worse.

                  “Is it serious?”

                  “For now it's just something. I don't know if it's serious or not. We’re suppose to go out tomorrow night. It could be something serious, though.”

                  “Okay. I made you a promise and I'm going to keep it. Eat up so I can take you home.” I smiled at him but it was quiet obvious it wasn’t real. How the fuck am I suppose to smile when he’s leaving me. What the hell? We weren’t even together together. 

                  “Will—”

                  “Sage, we both knew what this was. Don’t worry about it. We’ll still be friends right? We can still do things together, just one minor thing that will change. You know I care about you and I want you to be happy so don’t worry about me, okay?” He nod is head and I saw tears streaming down his face. I got up from my chair and started walking over to him and he mirrored my movements. The second he was within reached I pulled him in my arms and hugged him closely to me. His arms were as tight around me as mine were around him. “I want to meet this guy,” I told him. I felt his body stiffen. “I want to make sure you’re in good hands. I also want to make sure he’s a good looking enough to match your looks,” I joked…partially.

                  “How’d you tell if he’s attractive?” He asked. “You’re straight, remember?” He joked lightning the mood a little.

                  “Ha-ha funny!”

                  “Will?” He asked seriously looking up at me. “Can we watch a movie?”

                  “Sure thing, kiddo.”

                  We went into the living room and I searched for a movie until we both agreed on one. Sage did something he never did before; he took my hand and placed it around his shoulder, cuddled up in my side and rests his head on my chest. His sudden movement shocked me. A part of me wanted to let him go because I didn’t want to get used to it but a bigger part of me wanted this moment because it means more to me that he will ever know. This moment means more to me than I am willing to admit.

                  Is it possible that I’m in love with Sage Martin? If I am, what am I going to do about it? Absolutely nothing. He met someone and I don’t want to mess this up for him.

                  We watched the movie but I don’t know what happened in the movie. My mind was doing one-eighty about this whole situation. I had been thinking about it lately, my feelings for Sage and my feelings in general. I’m not going to be selfish and ask him to be with me just because he found someone else and all of a sudden I feel possessive and want him for myself.

                 “The movie is over,” Sage said.

                  “I’ll take you home now then,” I responded with a sigh.

                  “I could spend the night if you want,” he mumbled rather shyly.

                  I thought about what he said and I know he wasn’t suggesting anything, but that didn’t mean nothing would happen and I don’t want him to live with any guilt. “As much as I would like for you to stay I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

                  “Yea, you’re right,” he said after a few seconds.

                  We went to my car and I drove him home in complete silence. It wasn’t exactly comfortable but it was obvious that the air around us was slightly tense. I parked outside his apartment building and turned to face him since he made no move to get out of the car.

                  “I meant what I said about meeting this guy, Sage,” I told him seriously.

                  “I know,” he said barely audible. “I don’t want you to scare him away so I have to go on a few dates with him first”

                  I chuckled, “I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.” Even though he was joking I wanted him to know that.

                   I know”

                  Staring at him I notice how sad he looked, probably because he think he’s hurting me but his happiness means more to me than my own. I reached over taking his chin in my hand and bringing my lips to his. He didn’t hesitate to kiss me back and move his lips passionately against mine. It wasn’t like the other kisses we had before that was filled with lust and need. This kiss meant a lot more and it had a different feeling to it. I cherished it knowing that we will never share another like this.

                  “Bye, Sage,” I whispered after pulling away from one of the best kisses we’ve ever shared, from one of the best kisses I have ever had. He nodded his head and left the car. I waited until he went in his apartment then I went home. So much for no one would get hurt but as long as Sage is happy I’ll be all right.