Chapter Twenty-six

I slipped my hand in my pocket as I jog down the stairs of the building. Sage was kissing Elliot. Elliot, of all people. I laughed humorlessly. Jesus, Sage was kissing Elliot. The man who made me feel love like I have never felt with anyone else was kissing the person we hated the most.

            Suddenly I felt like I was going to be sick. I ran to the end of the street where there was a garbage container and emptied my stomach in it. It’s like I couldn’t stop. The thought that Sage would kiss Elliot after everything made me sick. How could he do that to me? Me. I loved him, cared for him, I treated him the best I could and gave him everything I had physically and emotionally.

            “Get it together, Liam, get it together,” I scolded myself. I looked up and people were giving me weird disgusted looks. I opened the trunk of my car, got a bottle of water to rinse my mouth out. After I finished I got in and went home. I tried to think about the fact that something that belonged to Sage was in every corner of my house as I made my way up the stairs. How could I be so stupid? When did I become so careless, to think he actually cared about me and wouldn’t hurt me. After everything he has been through he know what it felt like to be cheated on.

            “Fuck!” I groaned as the need to vomit hit me again. I ran to the bathroom and let it all out. “Fuck! Ugh!” I rinse my mouth out for the second time.

            If Sage comes home I do not want to see him, hear him, smell him, I do not want to be in the same room as him. When I found the duffle bag I was searching for, I opened the drawers in my closet and tossed some shirts, pants and undergarments in the bag. Next I tossed an extra toothbrush, toothpaste and toiletries that I had in case I had to go on a business trip in a rush.

            The second I opened the front the Sage pulled up next to my car. He opened the door before the car went to a complete stop. I ignored him and made my way over to my car.

            “Where are you going?” He asked. I laughed. I really had to laugh. I caught him kissing on the fucking douchebag and he’s more concerned with where I’m going. “Will, I’m sorry,” he said and I paused to look at him. This was irony all over. I remember telling him that he never had to apologize to me much until he met fucking Elliot.

            “Yeah? So am I”

            “Please let me explain!” He begged as I started walking towards the car again. I went to the trunk to put the duffle bag inside. “Will!” He shouted grabbing on to my arm.

            I shrugged him off, roughly. “Don’t!” I yelled pointing a finger at him before shaking my head to calm myself down. “Don’t touch me!”

            “Please let me explain. I never—”

            “You never meant to hurt me?” I asked rhetorically finishing his sentence. “You want to explain? Explain how the person I love and the person that I thought loved me could hurt me this badly? That’s just it Sage. No one ever meant to hurt anyone but they do anyways whether they meant it or not.” I shook my head and I found myself laughing again. “I hate you right, Sage, I really do. And as much as I hate you I still love you to death. Congratulations, kiddo, you managed to make me love you more than I’ve ever loved anyone or anything in my life and you managed to hurt me more than anyone or anything ever did.”

            He started babbling and it was all a fucking blur to me. Congratulations, Elliot, you got what you wanted, almost killing me in the process, twice. Sage stood next to the car as I backed out of the driveway. It was a long drive so I blasted the radio to drone out my thoughts. I tapped my finger on the steering wheel to the beat of the song as tears began leaking out of my eyes.