Wake Up 7

Avery

I quickly get ready for work, knowing that Jace likes to arrive at the diner early. After the awkwardness of what happened last night, I don't want to make him wait on me if he doesn't have to. I just want to get this day over with and pretend that it never happened.

It never should have.

Pulling myself together, I grab for my apron and purse before heading to Jace's room and stopping in front of the door. I haven't heard any kind of noise coming from his room since I woke up over an hour ago, which unusual. He's usually always running around early in the morning running around in his tight little boxers and getting ready.

Holding my fist above his door, I hesitate before lightly knocking two times. When there's no answer, I try again, but harder. "Jace, are you ready to leave for work yet?"

Right when I reach out and am just about ready to knock again, I hear some movement from inside his room. "Are you ready?" I repeat.

"I'm not going in today, Avery," he says loudly. "You can just take my car. The keys are in the kitchen."

I open my mouth hesitating whether or not to question him, but it really isn't my place, so I quickly decide against it, trying to avoid as much conversation as I can with him.

"Alright," I say against the door. "I guess... I'll see you after work."

I take off down the hallway and into the kitchen to see his keys on the table. Quickly, I snatch them up and make my way outside and to his car.

Truthfully, I have only driven twice before and that was when Caleb was trying to give me a lesson, which went better than I expected. Now I just hope I can pull it off without anyone in the car to guide me.

Taking a deep breath, I jump into the driver seat and adjust the seat and mirror, before nervously shoving the keys into the ignition and starting the engine. "It's cool, Avery. You can handle this. It's only like ten blocks. Jace is only trusting you with his expensive, nice car."

Well damn... That didn't help much.

Taking another deep breath, I pull out of the driveway and into the nearly empty street. Everything is going smooth and I'm feeling pretty confident until a car runs a stop sign, almost cutting me off.

Slamming on the brakes, I yell out the window, "Asshole! Stop usually means stop! Obviously you don't know that..." Feeling shaky and worked up, I slam my hand into the steering wheel and curse under my breath while taking off again.

When finally arriving at the diner, in one piece, thankfully, I walk in to find Stacy wiping down a table. She's standing there in her short skirt and lacy red top, shaking her hips, as she hums to herself as if no one is around.

I step up beside her causing her to look up with a huge grin. "Morning, sunshine," she gleams. "You're here pretty early." She glances at her watch and her smile grows. "Oh nice. I could really use your help."

With my mind lost on last night, I follow Stacy over to the server station and toss my purse into the cabinet, while trying to force thoughts of Jace away.

"I hope you're ready for a busy day," she says excitedly. "Tuesdays are a lot busier than Sundays since it's 'country fried steak and biscuit' day. Sometimes we even run out of tables, so I'll do my best to help you if you need it." She looks eager as she looks around and cracks her knuckles. "You're doing great though. You'll be fine."