CHAPTER 14

Avery

Early the next morning, I wake to the sound of Caleb leaving.

A wave of relief washes over me as I realize, I won't have to deal with him being all weird this morning. After what happened last night; I really don't want to deal with him right now.

Yawning, I slowly open the bedroom door, poking my head outside, to be sure Caleb is really gone. When there's no sign of him, I saunter out of the bedroom and down the hall to the bathroom.

Tiredly staring at my reflection in the mirror, I frown at the dark circles under my eyes. I look like total shit. As if I haven't slept in weeks.

I feel like shit too.

Even though it's cool in Caleb's house, I spent the whole night drenched in sweat, fighting to sleep.

I didn't get much.

After quickly showering and dressing, I throw on my leather boots and wander into the living room, sighing as I look around at the unfamiliar surroundings.

"I so need to get out of here."

Just as I'm about to plop down and take a seat, I notice something poking out from under the couch.

Without thinking, I bend down and pull out a box. I think about looking inside, but then realize that I have no right to go through his things. I don't want him in my business, so I definitely have no right to be in his.

Pushing it back under the couch, I take a deep breath and call for a taxi.

While waiting, my mind keeps going back to the box under the couch and how Caleb and Kat acted last night when I walked in on them.

A part of me is curious if Caleb makes all this damn money by dealing.

"Fuck it."

Walking back over to the couch, I pull the box out and get ready to open it, but get interrupted by the front door swinging open.

Caleb stares over at me, eyes wide, as he slams the door behind him. He hastily makes his way over to me, giving me a hard look. "Avery," he hisses. "I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't go through my personal things when I'm gone."

Leaning in closer, he pulls the box out of my hand, his heavy breathing brushing against my ear. "I think I hear your taxi outside. You should hurry," he says stiffly.

"Yeah, sure," I mumble, before turning to walk toward the door. "I'll be out of your hair soon.

He nods his head, but his expression changes. "That's not what... we'll just talk later."

"Sure."

The taxi is waiting when I get outside, so I quickly hop in and shut the door behind me.

A young man, maybe in his mid-twenties, turns around, placing his arm over the leather seat. He's got light chocolate skin and big hazel eyes that seem friendly and outgoing.

He flashes me a carefree smile and lifts an eyebrow. "Where to, ma'am?"

"I'm actually not quite sure where I'm headed yet." I frown and look out the window.

The driver laughs, causing me to look up at him. He doesn't seem annoyed one bit by the situation. In fact, he looks amused. "Maybe I can help." He grins, causing me to smile back a bit relieved.

"I'm looking for a new job." I look up into his bright eyes and brush a strand of hair out of my face. "Preferably a diner."

He smiles even wider and shifts the car into drive. "Cool. Cool. I have a few ideas."