CHAPTER 17

Avery

An hour later, Jace and I are on the road once again, and headed back to Jace's place. My mother refused to see us, or even the nurse anymore, and I knew nothing would change her mind so we left.

Thoughts of my father will now poison my mother's every thought, and that's a powerful enough thing to make her blind to the situation and see how shitty he was.

It'll be no use to try to gain her forgiveness. Not now.

Only time will be able to heal the damage done.

Even then... there's only a slight chance for forgiveness.

My swollen eyes wander out the passenger side window as the nurse's words replay over and over in my head. They're words I never expected and I'll never be able to forget.

"Avery, your father has been battling cancer for over twelve years now. His body has been shutting down slowly over the years. He held on much longer than expected, but it was just time he let go. He was admitted to the hospital earlier today after being attacked in an alleyway, tests were run and shortly after... he passed.

"Avery." Jace's deep voice calls out.

I slowly reach up, hands shaking as I wipe the tears from off my puffy cheeks, before turning to face him. "Are you okay?" he questions, his emerald eyes looking dark, as they scan mine before setting back on the road. "Would you like me to stop somewhere? We can take a rest and get something to eat."

My stomach growls at even the mention of food, but I know keeping any food down won't be an option at the moment. "No," I whisper. "I'm not hungry. I just want some rest."

Closing my eyes, I lean into the black leather seat and wipe at my face.

I had no idea my father was even sick and from the way my mother reacted earlier to his death, I have a feeling she was just as clueless.

All of those years he'd kept that huge secret to himself. One that has probably been eating at him and tearing him apart bit by bit as he died a little more each and every day.

Every day he had to live with the pain and face the fact that he was dying. Maybe he couldn't face the fact. Maybe that's why he couldn't even stay sober for longer than five damn minutes.

Gripping the seat, I close my eyes as my head begins to spin. I feel sick. So damn sick.

"Stop the car!"

Jace quickly pulls the car over, before jumping out, right as I manage to swing my door open and fall out on my knees.

The only thing keeping me sane at the moment, as I sit here, is the feeling of Jace's strong hand rubbing the back of my head.

Nothing else in the world seems to make sense at the moment. He's the only thing that seems real to me.

The only thing keeping me alive.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry," I cry. "I should have stayed with you. We could've taken care of this better. I was just so scared. I was scared of hurting you." I bring my knees to my chin and rock back and forth, as he continues to rub my head. "I left to keep you safe. I didn't want to. Now my mother and my father..."

"It's okay," he whispers. "None of this is your fault. You had no control over your father or your mother for that matter. You have been through so much and it's time for you to move on. This is your chance, Avery." He pulls me into his arms and falls down on the ground next to me, holding me tightly. "This is what it feels like to be loved," he swallows. "I'm here for you, always."