CHAPTER 18

Avery

Yawning, I make my way through the hallway and into the kitchen, which smells of freshly cooked pancakes and syrup.

A small smile spreads across my face as I spot Jace standing in front of the stove, spatula in hand, as he peers over his shoulder at me and smiles.

"Good morning, beautiful," he says softly. "Did you sleep well?"

My eyes wander down to the kitchen table to see that it's set for three. In the middle of the table there's a plate of pancakes, corned beef hash and bacon. It looks and smells so damn delicious.

"As well as I can manage," I reply softly. "I have a headache from hell that won't seem to go away."

Jace gives me an apologetic look as he drops the spatula on the stove and exhales. "I'm sorry. I should have asked if you needed anything last night." He walks over to me and wraps his arms around my waist. "Is the headache gone? I can run to the store and grab-"

"No, I'm fine," I cut in trying to sound as believable as possible. "I'm all better now."

I smile up, before pulling his face down so that our lips are brushing.

"Oh... I like this," Jace whispers against my lips. His hands tighten around my waist as he pulls me closer. "This makes me want you so bad," he growls, gripping my thighs.

Unable to control myself, my lips eagerly crush his, causing us both to stumble into the stove behind us, almost knocking over the pan of sausage in the process.

Luckily, Jace reaches out in just enough time to catch it before it falls. "Shit! That was close."

"Whoa there!" Jackie calls out. "Let's not burn the house down." She laughs, placing a hand to her temple. "This headache is kicking my ass."

We both look over at Jackie as she brushes her messy hair out of her face, while pulling out a chair.

"Morning, Jackie."

Jace watches Jackie as she continues to rub her head. "You're looking really good. I'm guessing you slept well." He strolls over to the table and kisses Jackie on the forehead before pulling out a chair for me to sit in. "I hope you're both hungry."

I nod my head at Jackie and then take the seat between the two of them as we begin to dig in.

I have to admit, it feels nice being here with Jace and his sister. It almost feels like a real family. One that I've never had. It's peaceful.

"So Avery," Jackie pauses to smile. "I hear you live here with my brother. That's great because I've been worried about him being lonely. I'm happy you're here."

Oh shit...

Jackie's words cause me to remember about the apartment and new job. I completely forgot to mention any of it to Jace.

Swallowing, I look between Jackie and Jace as they stare at me waiting for a response. I swallow hard and glance back down at my half-empty plate feeling lost.

Jace's eyes go wide as he shifts in his seat and grabs my hand. "Is everything alright?"

Taking a deep breath, I lean back in my chair. "I have something to tell you." My heart aches at the thought of being away from Jace again.

"I found a new job," I swallow back the lump in my throat. "I'm supposed to start tomorrow morning."

The look on Jace's face is of pure hurt as he forks his pancakes and swallows. "A new job," he mumbles. "Where at?" he asks, looking back up.