CHAPTER THIRTY

After returning from Rosemont, I had spent most of my time at the company, staying overtime and burying myself in work. Though I burned to come closer, I still kept my distance from my wife because first I needed to figure out what to do next. Isabelle was very fragile and the realization that she had been through a lot more than I could have imagined filled me with a sense of dread. I didn't want to ask for too much too soon. I didn't want to fuck up again.

The only thing I knew for certain was that I had to take all the necessary actions to get rid of that contract and lift the burden off of Isabelle's chest. Regardless of the direction our relationship would take, I wanted to make sure Isabelle would obtain her freedom so she could make the choice to stay or go by herself. I knew it was selfish to keep her in the dark about these steps that were set into motion, but I needed to buy time to show her how I wanted it to be between us. Before I could begin to hope she'd want anything to do with me, I had to give her a reason to consider staying.

Resolved in my intention to draw divorce papers despite the dire consequences I would have to face, I sent an e-mail to Jared, asking for his legal advice and assistance in the matter. Moments after, my phone rang and I half -expected to already be reprimanded by my concerned friend, but it was only my assistant.

"Sir, your sister is here," Emily informed me. "May I let her in?"

"Which sister?" I asked in a somber tone, praying that it wasn't Dianne.

The last thing I needed was to deal with one of her outbursts and crazy demands to keep a better eye on her husband whom I chose to avoid like pest. While she was busy accusing him of having an affair with our sister, the entire company knew the spineless bastard was banging his secretary but there was no way in hell I would get involved or call him out on what he was doing.

"It's Helen," Emily revealed and I breathed a sigh of relief as I heard my little sister's voice in the background. "She says she can come another time if you are too busy."

"No. Send her in," I instructed without hesitation.

In a matter of moments, Helen was standing in my office, looking a lot better than the last time I had seen her at our parent's house.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything important," she said in an apologetic manner. "I was in the city and I thought I'd stop by to say hi."

I smiled, sensing it was an excuse and she was here for a reason but I chose to let it go.

"Don't worry," I reassured her, motioning towards one of the empty chairs. "I can always squeeze you in."

"That's very nice coming from a workaholic like you," Helen teased as she came closer.

The second she sat down, her eyes froze on my desk and I realized she was staring at the picture of Isabelle I had gotten from Ashley. When she looked at me again, I could see the clear surprise in her expression.

"Nice picture," she muttered with a shadow of a smile.

"Thanks," I replied simply, glancing at my laptop.

Helen continued staring at me, clearing her throat to get my attention. "So...how are things at home?"

"What things?" I asked, lifting my gaze from the screen.

She shook her head and her lips twisted into an excited devilish grin. "Oh come on...don't play around, Romeo. Just tell me what I want to know."

I arched my eyebrows. "Romeo?"

"Yes...Romeo," she repeated. "You have Isabelle's picture on your desk. That means you are officially too far gone. Now tell me what's been going on between the two of you because I'm dying to talk to her."