CHAPTER TEN

After another sleepless night, I nurtured my raging headache at the breakfast table while Theresa served my breakfast. It was of small comfort that she chose to take heed in my warning and act professionally in my presence. I didn't care either way. One more transgression and she would be fired. In reality, I would have preferred her to screw up and provide me with a reason to get rid of her. When I disliked someone, it was an irreversible state of things and there was nothing she could do to get in my good graces and change my opinion. She was better off working for another employer. Alas, the girl seemed to have possessed the ability to read my thoughts and she addressed me in a small, regretful voice.

"Sir, I must apologize for what happened the other day." I looked up to see she avoided meeting my gaze. I held in a smirk of contempt as she started blushing. "You see, I didn't mean anything inappropriate. I just meant to say that the wedding celebration must have been long and exhausting."

The way she recited the words made me think she'd practiced the apology in the solitude of her small room, standing in front of the mirror. I remained silent for a few moments and while I observed her nervous fidgeting, I contemplated on not saying anything at all. I couldn't care less about her attempt to apologize, but I soon realized that taking the easy way out would rid me of her annoying presence.

"Fine. I accept your apology," I replied in a cold voice at last, wanting her to go away. I confronted her with the storm in my eyes. "Make sure to keep in mind that I am not one of your girlfriends, but the man who pays your wages. Next time you speak out of line, there will be serious consequences."

She seemed struck by my words, but accepted them nonetheless. What other choice did she have?

"I understand, Sir," she said in a humble manner. "If I may add, I think you have a lovely wife. I've met her yesterday and I wanted to talk to her in the garden, but then I saw..." she started babbling again and suddenly kept herself in check. "I'm sorry, Sir. I know I shouldn't..." she apologized and headed outside.

"Theresa," I called after her and she stopped immediately, turning around to face me. "What did you see?"

God dammed. I hated myself for asking, but the need to know was stronger than anything.

Theresa's eyes went distant as she replied, "I saw her crying."

I exhaled and covered my face with newspaper so my maid wouldn't see the impact her words had on me. There was that pressure again and it was hard to breathe. Why the hell did I care if the little gold digger was crying? Since when did I give a damn about her tears?

In that moment, Isabelle entered the dining room and there was no time for me to chase the gloomy thoughts away and regain my composure of indifference and aloof coldness. Even though I didn't look at her, I felt the tension that emanated from her in nervous waves as she stood paralyzed like she was shocked to find me eating breakfast in my own fucking house.

"Good morning," she said in the same small, submissive voice that reminded me of the moment in the hotel when she was begging me not to hurt her.

The realization did something inexplicable to me and suddenly I couldn't stand to be in her presence. It felt like I was burnt by her very scent and I had to get away. Tossing my newspaper on the table, I stood up and stormed out of the room without exchanging a single word with my wife. I could fell Theresa's eyes following me in utter confusion of what she'd just witnessed.

***

The vicious circle of avoiding my wife during the day and suffering through incurable insomnia at night continued for weeks to come. Ever since that morning I'd seen Isabelle in the dining room, I made sure to leave as early as possible and come home sometimes hours later than usual, opting to have my dinners brought to my office or to my room. The Goliath thrived because of the extra overtime hours I'd spent working, but my private life began to suffer. Save for the few text messages and short phone calls, I hadn't seen Jared who still struggled to fix things with Amelia. I understood that now she would return his calls, but the real reconciliation was nowhere near in sight so they were forced to cancel their wedding arrangements. I wasn't happy about keeping distance from my best friends during this difficult period, but I had so many issues of my own.