Chapter Ten

Two months later.

Kenai and Liz spoke. A lot. Maybe things were back on track with the two. The world started to make sense again and Liz loved it. She smiled thinking her son was happy seeing them together again. Kenai was always at the front every morning waiting for Liz, just like how it used to be.

"Bye Mia. Bye Vera" Liz yelled walking out the door with a grand smile on her face. Vera laughed at her teenage sister who attempted to cover up the fact that she was with Kenai again. She knew well enough. Kenai drove over to the cemetery, a daily ritual to set up their day with something positive. 

They both sat and talked with their son, updating him on everything that's happened since their last visit. Liz felt her heart restarting again like a new life was breathed into her. Jeremiah looked down on the both of them, his heart feeling whole seeing his parents together visiting him again. 

Only a few more weeks left of high school before they both progressed into the real world. Time was ticking against everyone and there was no chance to stop it. The couple parted ways as the bell rang indicating the beginning of the first period. Liz smiled watching Kenai disappear around the corridor. 

After school Kenai had football training so Liz opted it back home to get some studying in while Kenai was busy. Approaching the front door she noticed a pair of large shoes at the front, a mans shoes. Liz wondered who this unannounced guest was as she walked through the front door. Liz heard talking inside the kitchen and found Vera sitting with Jason.

"Cous, when did you get in?" Liz, grinned reaching in to give her cousin a hug. Jason stood up greeting Liz before she sat down on the table. Liz saw both Vera and Jason struggle to say whatever they were trying to say. 

"What's the problem?" Liz raised her brow at her sister and then her cousin. Liz had a staredown with the both of them.

"Vera told me that you and Kenai are talking again" Jason spoke up breaking the silence. His statement made a small chuckle leave her mouth.

"You flew all this way to question my choices" - Liz

"Liz you don't understand how bad things turned out. We all saw the state you were in. We don't ever want to see you like that ever again-"  - Jason

"No, I don't need you two judging every decision I make because I'm not stupid and you are not my parents.  I know what happened last time and I know it's not going to happen this time. It won't happen" Her anger caused her to grab her car keys and drive away. Jason stood up to chase his cousin but Vera stopped him.

"She's like this. Let her cool off" Vera brushed him off as he punched the table. All the while Liz drove off with hot tears leaving her eyes.  Did Jason really fly twelve hours just to tell Liz she was making a mistake? Liz was an adult now and she didn't need her big cousin treating her like a child. Fifteen minutes later she found herself at the beach again. 

She wasn't making a mistake. Kenai was the one and she was more sure about that then she was about anything else. Everyone had their ups and downs and they had just been going through a giant rough patch. It was nothing deeper than that. And the two could bounce back from this and pick up where things left off. Her body slowly sunk into the sand as the waves raced towards her. This was where she felt at peace. Beside the ocean. 

She looked up at the sky, watching the purple sky as the sun slowly disappeared behind the horizon. The wind picked up, giving a slight breeze that brushed her hair off her shoulders. Only one person was missing here. Jeremiah. 

"Is it safe to sit here?" Jason cracked a joke taking a seat beside Liz.

"How'd you know I'd be here?" - Liz