Chapter 22

The first hour of the party was a bust. It really sucked. Girls grinded against boys on the dance floor that was actually the living room. All of the furniture had been moved into another room.

Across the room stood a guy. And not just a guy, an incredibly WOW guy. He had on a basketball jersey with the number 20 printed largely on the back. I smiled and looked back to the floor. Seconds later I felt hands on my sides. "Hey John."

"Actually it's Mark, Cutie," he flirted.

I turned around to see the hot guy gazing into my eyes. "Well, well well, if it isn't guy from across the room."

"Again, Mark."

"Right. So Mark are you single?"

"Well you aren't so I guess it doesn't matter."

"Way to watch your surroundings."

"Vampire thing," Mark winked at me and licked his teeth. "Would you like to dance awkwardly to the music while everyone stares and judges?"

"Sure!"

He grabbed my hand and pulled me against him, placing his hands on my hips. We swayed back and forth to the music. The song ended and he thanked me, "Would you like a drink?"

"Okay."

Mark grabbed a cup and filled it to the top with beer. I smiled and took it.

Four or five, maybe six, cups later, Mark and I were laughing like old friends on a Lazy Boy couch. He suggested that we play truth or dare. My answer was, and I quote, "Fuck yeah!"

"Truth or dare?" he asked.

"Dare."

Mark stroked his chin and thought for a moment. "I dare you to go over to that blonde girl and ask her of she likes tacos."

"Well how childish," I giggled.

"Fine then I change it. I dare you to kiss me like... for two WHOLE Mississippi's!" He smiled at me.

A buzz was going through my head down to my toes. My skin was hot and cold at the same time. I looked around dramatically and then kissed him sticking my hand up counting.

One Mississippi. Two Mississip-

Mark was pulled away by a drunk, and furious, John. "Who the hell are you?"

"Calm down, we were just doing a dare," he responded.

I heard a click and suddenly a gun was pulled. John was pointing a pistol at Mark's head. "You can't kill me with a bullet, dumb ass. Only a wooden stake to the heart," Mark said.

"No but a wooden bullet to the head will be a bitch to try and pull out. If you can."

My mouth was open, "John put the gun down. Now." I stepped toward Mark. "No one needs to get hurt."

He did the unthinkable. The barrel of the gun was now pressing against my forehead. "Shut up!"

"Put the gun down, please."

John's arms weakened. I see Kylie out of the corner of my eye. She's glaring at John nodding. "Put the gun down," I repeat. And he does and collapses to the ground.

I won't help him up, not right now at least.

"Oh my god! Ann, help him," Ashlyn squealed.

"No. He pointed a gun at my head. The bastard can suffer for a little bit."

Rage surged in me. I picked up the gun and shot John in the leg. He screamed and I walked out.

***

John recovered and I was still a little mad but he was very drunk so I understand a little bit.

Ashlyn forced me to go to one therapy appointment. Apparently shooting someone in the leg is a sign of being psycho. It was boring but the doctor told me that it's stress and anxiety. That I should take pills.

Another thing for Ash to force me to do. I've been taking them, reluctantly. John never realized that I was the one that shot him. The hospital labeled it as 'When he passed out, he dropped it and shot himself.' Sounded good enough to me.

Every time I saw Kylie I would glare at her until she looked away. I HATE HER FOR WHAT SHE'S DONE, I said to myself. Bit what had she done? an if she had, where was my proof. I didn't have any.

***

A week later I woke up in the middle of the night to get a drink from the water fountain in the hallway. The water was cold like ice on my throat.

Soothing.

A huge shadow came around the corner. A man. He was running, at me. I raised an eyebrow.

The man didn't stop. Wood stuck from his hand and was plummeted into my stomach area. A stake with enough pain to not kill me, but make me pass out.