Chapter 5

I slid under the covers of my bed reliving the events of today. John's lips pressed against mine. The heat of his body radiating off of him.

The next morning I tried to tell Ash. "So, Ash?"

"Yeah?"

"Remember how you told me that I could have, um, John?" She raised an eyebrow curiously. "Well... I do!"

She smiled. "Oh my god! Finally! You haven't had a boyfriend in FOREVER!"

"Yeah, I know!"

"Well then I should tell you too."

"What? Are you dating someone too?"

"Uh-huh. His name is Marv."

"Marv...?"

"The guy from the party."

"ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!" Fury burned through my veins.

"Look I know that you might be upset-"

"'That I might be upset.' Wow. I didn't know that you were so desperate."

"Savannah!"

"I don't want to hear it Ashlyn... I am so pissed off right now, I don't want to hear it." I walked out of the house running with tears, of anger and sadness pouring down my cheeks to the ground.

John opened the door to me and his face was shocked at my tears. I slammed into him sobbing. His hands ran from the back of my head to my soaked cheeks. An index finger slipped under my chin tilting my head up to look at him.

"Ann, what's wrong?"

"I, Ashlyn. S-she told me she's dating HIM."

His eyes were filled with worry. "Who's 'him'?"

"Marv," I said through my clenched teeth. The name was dripping with hatred.

"Oh..." He pulled me against him and I calmed down. We sat down and watched some tv. A light knock soon came to the door.

"Ann?" It was Ashlyn.

John looked at me and whispered, "Do you want me to get it?"

I shook my head and walked silently to the door. It swung open and I stared into the face of a desperate wh- I mean Ashlyn.

"What?"

"Look, Ann. I know you aren't happy but he wasn't actually doing anything there."

"Really? Because it looked like he was doing plenty."

"He was the second guy that you kicked his teeth in. I... think you should apologize to him.

"No."

"No?"

"No," I repeated sternly.

"Okay. Then don't bother coming back home. You have three hours to get your stuff out." Her eyes filled with tears. This was hard for her to say.

"Fine," I looked over my shoulder and spoke to John. "Let's go get my stuff for her before she throws it away." He nodded and lazily got up.

I couldn't believe that she had kicked me out. We moved my stuff out pretty fast. Actually in an hour and a half. When John's truck was pulling away with the last of my things, I heard faint whimpering coming from inside the house.

This was killing her.

Almost a week went by and I had to admit it... I missed her. But waking up every morning with John was great. We didn't sleep in the same bed but it was the same room. Exhilarating.

One night I was listening to John's slowed, sleepy breath. I grabbed his keys from the kitchen and walked out jumping in the truck and drove in Ashlyn's direction.

The vehicle parked perfectly in front of the house and I found the key I'd had made before she told me to give her my key. I pushed the door closed silently, her door swung open when I turned the handle. Her breaths were even, as if she were two people.

That's when I realized. She was in the bed. Sleeping. With Marv. My teeth snapped together like magnets. I unclenched my jaw and took a deep breath.

She was sleeping in the outside of the bed. I slipped my arm under her head and her legs, picking her up. Ash sat down on the couch, I tapped on her shoulder waking her up.

Her eyes fluttered open and she was about to scream but my hand covered her mouth. Ash's breath was raged, my hand fell. She sighed saying, "Ann what are you doing here?"

"We have been best friends for ten years and we are NOT stopping because of some guy that I don't like is your," I choked out the word. "Boyfriend."

"Annie?" She only called me that when she was worried about me.

"What?"

"Will you please apologize to Marv?" I started to argue but she stopped me. "Please Ann. He means so much to me. I respect John for you."

"Yeah, but you like him."

"Ann..." She whined.

"Fine."

Ash walked in her room to wake up Marv. He drudged out of the room rubbing his eyes. Marv's eyes grew wide when he saw me stepping backwards. Ashlyn encouraged him forward.

"What do you want? Are you going to punch me again?" He looked utterly annoyed.

"I. Am. Apologizing." All of my muscles were tense and ready to punch his snobby face once more.

"Okay, I except your apology," He looked up at Ashlyn like a child. "Can I go back to sleep now?"

"Yes." Marv was on his feet but before he walked past her a kiss was planted on her blushing cheeks.

"There, now can we be friends again."

"Of course!"

"Okay so Marv should be out by Thursday and I'll have my stuff ready to-"

"Wait. Marv isn't moving out."

"Well I'm not sleeping in the same room when you two decide to hook up. So, he should move out. I'll be moving out of John's so it will be like... a guy for a guy thing."

"I'll consider, best friend."

"Best friend. Did you really call me Annie?"

Ash giggled. I drove the truck back to John's expecting him to be asleep. But that was not the case. He was sitting in his chair waiting for me. "Hello Ann. Where did you go?"

"I-I was at Ashlyn's. Why are you up? Did I wake you?"

"Huh... no I had to piss and you weren't here. So, how is Ash?"

"Good. I mean well, I have to um," I was devastated. I didn't want to leave him. But I couldn't stay. "Look John-"

"Oh Lord." He put his head in his hands.

I walked to him and lifted his eyes to mine. "John, I am NOT braking up with you. I love you way too much to ever do that. But I'm moving back in with Ann. I love you."

A wall seemed to slide over his face. He wasn't angry, he was happy. "Ann, I love you too. I don't care if we live a million miles away- and I know this sounds cheesy- I will always love you."

My arms wrapped around him. A tight pinch in my throat threatened to fill my eyes with salty water. I swallowed a big lump where the pinch was.

I cleared my throat pulling back, "Well, we still have tonight. Technically it's not official either. She said she would think about it."

His eyes brightened. "Thank God." We stood up to go to bed when I felt a pain in my side. It was sharp and blunt. A numbing sensation spread and I looked down, a perfectly round hole was in my right side.

I had been shot.

My first reaction was to look at John but he was being stuffed in the bathroom by a man that had suddenly appeared. For the first time in my life I was cold. Then all of it went wrong.

Everything was gone into darkness.